New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

Mac Pro Quit mounting external hard drives

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

bleached_blue

bleached_blue is on a distinguished road

I have MacPro Mac OS X that quit mounting all of my external hd's. I've tried multiple firewire cords 400/800, multiple hard drives, different model hard drives. Nothing seems to be working. The whole system still seems to work fine and USB mounts work but no 400 or 800 firewire drives.

Any information would be very helpful. Should I be concerned that this could be a symptom of a bigger issue?
QUOTE Thanks
bleached_blue

I'm having trouble with external HD's not mounting to MacPro OS X vs. 10.5.8. I've tried multiple HD's using both 400 n 800 connections. Used both 800 ports and a 400 port on the MacPro. Used different model HD's. Take the same HD's to a Macbook Pro and they mount. These drives have worked without issue on the same MacPro until this morning.

To me it seems obvious that it is device software in the MacPro but I don't know how to go about diagnosing it or solving it. Could you people help me out please before I go spend $1000 to fix it?
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Please do not hi-jack someone's post. You can always post at the end of the thread or start a new thread. I moved your post here and started a new thread for you.

Run the Apple Hardware Test on your Mac Pro to see what if anything it says about Firewire. Also, have you tried running your System Information application to see if Firewire is being shown?

EDIT: Also it seems that you not only hi-jacked a thread but also cross posted. Please follow our guidelines. Thanks.

Merged your posts together here.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

This is a Mac Pro with four interior hard drives bay? Are they all full to use externals which are never as fast as internal drives.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
bleached_blue

Sorry for Hi-Jacking and cross posting. I'm not on here often so I'll be sure to be more careful next time.

Thank you for your help and I will try these things to see what it says. It does have 4 internal bays. I so many files though and I work on the MacPro and MacBook Pro so I use the external drives for convenience and portability.

Thanks again.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« may sound dumb, but can I lay my new we External hard drive on its side? | How to retrieve files (not backups) from old 1st gen timecapsule? »