new hard drive instalation
    i was told that my imac needed a new HD. i removed the 250 gig and installed a 500gig. i can not format the HD i can get to the english,agree, and select but their is nothing to select

Specs:
    Imac 27" Retina 5K, 512GB flash memory, 3.3GHz, 16GB memory, macOS Sierra beta.
    G'day and welcome to the forums.

A few questions as you never supplied details.

What model iMac? Who told you a new drive was necessary? What operating system are you trying to install? If from discs are they they actual discs which came with the computer? If not tust they are not silver and grey install discs from another model.
    Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!

Quote Originally Posted by harryb2448 View Post
    G'day and welcome to the forums.

A few questions as you never supplied details.

What model iMac? Who told you a new drive was necessary? What operating system are you trying to install? If from discs are they they actual discs which came with the computer? If not tust they are not silver and grey install discs from another model.
    i have a model 2111, its an imac 24 16GHZ with 250Gig HD. i took the computer to Apple and they told me the HD needed to be replaced. i am using the original silver and grey discs that came with the computer. for some reason, the computer reacts to the discs differently each time i try to boot the computer. sometimes i get to the screen that ask for english then the agreement and then where to direct it to. i can never select the area to go to as they are not highlighted. i also seem to be having trouble getting the disc to eject an have had to take the drive apart several times to get it out

i have a model 2111, its an imac 24 16GHZ with 250Gig HD. i took the computer to Apple and they told me the HD needed to be replaced. i am using the original silver and grey discs that came with the computer. for some reason, the computer reacts to the discs differently each time i try to boot the computer. sometimes i get to the screen that ask for english then the agreement and then where to direct it to. i can never select the area to go to as they are not highlighted. i also seem to be having trouble getting the disc to eject an have had to take the drive apart several times to get it out.

i am new to this forum and am having trouble responding.

Thank you for your interest and i hope this gets to you
    Carmen

Specs:
    Imac 27" Retina 5K, 512GB flash memory, 3.3GHz, 16GB memory, macOS Sierra beta.
    Our model iMacs are made to be non user upgradable. There is a special firmware and patented heat sensor Apple uses on the iMac hard drives and I guess this is where your problem is coming from. Have a read of this:-

http://www.macworld.com/article/1159...veupgrade.html
    Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!

Thread Information