LaCie 4TB 2big Thunderbolt Series RAID Hard Drive recommendations
    Hi forum members

I want to throw away my many 1TB hard drives and move to this monster LaCie 4TB 2big Thunderbolt Series RAID Hard Drive - so I can simplify my storage.

Do the members have experience and recommendations about this particular hardware.

I currently have 3 x 1TB drives for data and 3 x 1TB ext drives for backup and I fear sometimes my system gets in a muddle and slows due to this complex setup. They are connected to my 2012 MBP current OS X via the two USB ports. I'm using 2 4x Belkin Powered Adaptors.

I reason that I'd connect one LaCie 4TB 2big Thunderbolt Series RAID Hard Drive to the Thunderbolt connection and use that one striped at a 4TB drive and daisy chain a second LaCie 4TB 2big Thunderbolt Series RAID Hard Drive for backup.

What do you people think of this proposal? Can you see any problems with it other than the AUS$1300 it will cost for the hardware?

Incidentally - I plan on keeping one USB Drive and attach it to a USB port (lol) for use with Time Machine to backup my 125GB System SSD. Hope to sell the remainder on eBay

Cheers, Mal AU

I might self start hopefully a full discussion here. But just a thought.

I've noticed the LaCie does NOT have firewire or usb support - so what if sometime down the track I want to remove the data and put it onto USB Drives?

That would simply be a matter of connecting said ext drive to a USB port on my MBP, dragging from the ThunderBolt drive to the USB Drive wouldn't it? And of course going for a cruise while the files are being copied, haha.

Specs:
    March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
    If you can afford it - then absolutely. I'd love to have a Thunderbolt setup - but need that price to come down to something I feel ok about paying for a HD.

Thread Information