Seagate EHD freezing up
    My iMac has a Western Digital hard drive, and I've had no problem with WD external drives, but the last time I got a Seagate one and it always freezes up on me. It works at first, but at some point it freezes up, which sometimes affects other applications running at the time. Disconnecting the drive resolves those problems, so I know that's the culprit.

Also, there has been a recall of some iMacs that were built with 1TB Seagate hard drives. I no longer have one since mine had a problem a while back and it was replaced with the WD I now have. So, it seems like there is some conflict between Seagate and WD drives. I've looked for solutions, but haven't seen any, so I have come here to see if anyone else has had this problem and if they've found a solution. I don't want to just throw away a 2TB drive. Thanks.

Nambucca Heads Australia
    iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS 10.11.1.
    Connect up the Seagate and see if it appears in Disk Utility. If so select it and run Repair Disk and see what is reported.
    Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!

Ok, I did that and it came back with "The volume FreeAgent GoFlex Drive appears to be OK."

Well, I finally found something about this. The link below talks about it and it appears that there is a compatibility issue between Seagate GoFlex 3.0 drivers and Macs. There's a bunch of computer geek level instructions about how to fix it, but it's over my head. Ugh.

Thread Information