New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

What is not needed for first time backup to Ext. Hard Drive

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

m&mboys

m&mboys is on a distinguished road

Just installed a new external hard drive device on my iMac. During the setup, it asked what I wanted Excluded from the backup. I excluded nothing. It is now baking up everything from the iMac. Do I really need to back up everything like applications, iMac HD, etc?
QUOTE Thanks
m&mboys

I'm New to Mac-Forums and relatively new to the Mac world.
My question is - when backing up my iMac for the first time, should I do a complete backup of my computer including Operation system, applications and iMac hard drive, or do those files need to be excluded? The new external hard drive is a 2 TB G-Technology drive.

Thank you for your input.
QUOTE Thanks
m&mboys

I'm New to Mac-Forums and relatively new to the Mac world.
My question is - when backing up my iMac for the first time, should I do a complete backup of my computer including OS X Operation system, applications and iMac hard drive, or do those files need to be excluded? The new external hard drive is a 2 TB G-Technology drive.

Thank you for your input.
QUOTE Thanks
Deckyon

Deckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really nice
Mac Specs: MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM

Here is my own opinion, coming from 16 years of networking.

My MBP has a 500GB drive. I have a 1TB drive connected to my AirPort Extreme dedicated to Time Machine for the MBP.
My MacMini also has a 500GB drive. I have a 1TB drive plugged into it dedicated to Time Machine for the Mini.

Let Time Machine do the work. It will do a full backup once, then incrementals after that once an hour. you will find you forget it is even running, until you need to get in and restore something. I have had to multiple times and it has worked flawlessly. I highly recommend having a dedicated drive twice the size of the system drive. Eventually, the drive will fill up and it will start overwriting older backups. That is normal, and to be expected.

enjoy the Mac.

MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6750M 1GB RAM
MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256MB RAM
iPhone 5S 64GB, iPad Air 2 128 GB LTE, iPod Nano Gen6 8GB, Apple TV 3 & 2
QUOTE Thanks
osxx

osxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3

Attach the ext HD and run Time machine and let it do its thing.
If you want to do a complete image thats bootable Carbon Copy Clone on a separate drive.
I use both.
QUOTE Thanks
Sawday

Sawday is a jewel in the roughSawday is a jewel in the roughSawday is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 24" Aluminium, 2.8 GHz, 4Gb RAM. iPad2, iPhone4

"Let Time Machine do the work. It will do a full backup once, then incrementals after that once an hour. you will find you forget it is even running, until you need to get in and restore something. I have had to multiple times and it has worked flawlessly. I highly recommend having a dedicated drive twice the size of the system drive. Eventually, the drive will fill up and it will start overwriting older backups. That is normal, and to be expected."

I fully concur with this. Just let Time Machine do everything.

Happiness is not getting what you want, but wanting what you get.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

Yes. How else are you going to restore your hard drive's contents if it fails and you have to replace it? Besides, Time Machine only does a full backup the first time you use it. Subsequent backups are made only on those items that have changed.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

@m&mboys:

You've posted this same subject many times in our forums. Only post a thread in one forum and continue to post to that same thread. There is no need to "shotgun" your post in several forums. Since the subject is the same keep it in one spot and continue from there. I have removed and merged all your extra posts.

Thanks for your future cooperation.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Cinema screen & net speeds | external hard drive »