New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

Troubles installing kingston ssd in mbp mid '10

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Freakshowdk

Freakshowdk is on a distinguished road

Hi guys

I really hope, that somebody in here are able to help me.

I've just bought a Kingston V200 ssd, as the other hdd died the other day -.-

The problem is, that my mac cannot detect the ssd disc as a internal drive no matter what i do.

Using the SSD as a external disc, i have formatted the disc to Mac OS Journaled extended, installed ML, cloned a image from another disc, tried to reset NVRAM

But none of these things makes it possible to detect the ssd as a internal drive .. :/

So... At this point i am clueless to what i should do next to solve the problem.. One of my thoughts are, that i might have another hardware problem? or that the kingston ssd is simply no compatible with my mbp ?

In any case, i hope one of you guys out there, are able to help me

// FreakshowDK
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

The problem may not be with the SSD since you seem to be able to use it as an external drive. You may have a defective SATA ribbon cable which goes from the drive connector to the logic board. Try changing out that cable. Directions for changing the cable can be found at iFixit: The free repair manual. Have your model number on hand when you look up the directions.

We've seen many cases of that cable being defective. The cable undergoes a lot of heat and becomes brittle over time, and easily breaks.
QUOTE Thanks
Freakshowdk

Freakshowdk is on a distinguished road

I found out, that the problem wasn't with the ssd, i tried mounting it, in my gilfriends mbp, which is also a mid '10, booting just fine -.-

But I'll try to change the sata cable - do you know where i can buy one ?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« all in one printer-lion 10.7 | What get a 1TB desktop HD as opposed to a portable? »