New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

Sound out from Thunderbolt Display

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

PH2

PH2 is on a distinguished road

Dear all,

I have a Thunderbolt Display and I am not impressed with the sound. I also have a Logitech Z-5500 Surround System that I would like to connect to my display. The reason why I want to connect it to my display and not directly to my MBP is that the whole point for me in buying this setup is that I use the Thunderbolt Display as docking station for the MBP. I'm in and out of office several times a day - and don't want to mess with cables on/off my MBP - except from the thunderbolt cable.

Thunderbolt Display has: USB, FIrewire, Thunderbolt, 3 X ethernet
Logitech has 2 digital inputs: Coax (SPdif) and Optical (+ 3 minijacks; Front, Rear, Sub/Center)

How do I connect the two?

(I use Time Capsule - and was wondering if I could use that combined with an Apple TV - connecting as follows: Timecapsule ethernet-cabled to the Thunderbolt Display + Timecapsule ethernet-cabled to Apple TV + Apple TV via optical cable to Logitech Surround system - would that work?)

As you can tell - I'm not at all used to this stuff - so answers/suggestions/alternative solutions will be very much appreciated.

Thank you in advance for your help.

BR PH2 (Denmark)
QUOTE Thanks
PH2

PH2 is on a distinguished road

Hi all,

Has anyone succeeded in taking sound out from a Thunderbolt Display? And if so - how?
(would like to connect it to digital inputs like coax or optical on ext. surround sys.)

Thanks in advance.

PH2 (Denmark)
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Threads merged (same topic)…and thread moved to more appropriate sub-forum (Other Hardware).

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
rpg51

rpg51 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MBA 1.7 GHz Core i5, 4GB 1333 MHz DDR3 - Lion 10.7.4; Thunderbolt Display; 2011 iMac base w/SSD

I ended up with a usb DAC and it works well.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Newest software i can update my Powemac G5 to? | Macbook to LG 32LH3000 optimising display settings »