Angry Help No Mac OS on Mac Mini,
    My used mac mine seems to run with unix? or linux? line codes. I want to install OS X, but there is an admin password on the machine that won't let me do anything. Can anyone tell me how to change passwords? Remember, I don't have any mac os installed. Thanks. I never purchased a mac before without pre installed OS.

Specs:
    iMac 2010 27" QuadI7 OSX10.11, iMac 2008 OSX10.11, MBP Late2011OSX10.11 , iPhone 3GS Note 8!
    Is this a Firmware password that shows right away or a Password in the Unix/Linux OS?

Did you get a DVD with the Mini when you purchased it, Used I take it?

used Mac Mini, no Mac OS, no CD with purchase
    After 8-ten minutes of loading line code, it asks for login, then password. It is used and the CD did not come with it. I am using the OS X install CD that came with my iMac and MacBook in 2010. Thanks for your interest.

Specs:
    2011 13" MBP 2.3ghz, 8gig ram, OS 10.8.5
    Quote Originally Posted by cknow View Post
    I am using the OS X install CD that came with my iMac and MacBook in 2010. Thanks for your interest.
    This won't work. Those gray discs are model specific. So a gray OS install disk from an iMac or a MacBook won't work with a Mac-Mini.

This may not solve all the issues you are facing…but it will at least eliminate one.

- Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

Specs:
    iMac 2010 27" QuadI7 OSX10.11, iMac 2008 OSX10.11, MBP Late2011OSX10.11 , iPhone 3GS Note 8!
    Without OSX this will be harder, but is your iMac the one with everything in the flat Screen LCD case with a Stand on the bottom? If so turn it over and look at the bottom of the stand and give us the specs and model you see there. Then it will be easier to help you.

Nick is right about the Gray DVD's.

info on mac mini
    The Mac mini is a little box with nothing attached. I use a mac keyboard & mouse, and a pc ready tv. 1.25 Ghz, Power PC G4. Apple Mac Mini G4 Desktop - M9686LL/A (January,
    2005) 256 MB

I'll quit using the gray CD. I have an OS X CD with the iMac logo picture (the colorful rays of light, like the northern lights.) Will that be better? If I get to use it? I tried it first and got no further than with the gray one. I have to get permission of the admin with a password that I do not have, nor does the seller.

Specs:
    27" 5K iMac, 3.3GHz, 256GB Flash Storge, 16GB memory and OS X.11.3.
    The Mini is a PowerPC so the latest operating system it will work with is Leopard OS X.5 and it needs to be a black coloured retail install DVD. If the computer has what is known as Firmware Password Protection and the previous owner does not have that password sounds just a little suspicious.
    Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!

Change Linux Admin password, anyone??
    Thanks for all the replies. The ebay seller says they got it from a company with whom they contract worked, that changed their computers. I do have a black Install X.4 disk. My X.5 disks are gray and came with iMac & MacBook.

Does anyone know how to go into the Linux system and reset the admin password? It says "using Linux 2.6 IPsec Interface code."

Thread Information