New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

How to use MBP with iMac using thunderbolt and windows parallels

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

JDMcN

JDMcN is on a distinguished road

Can anyone tell me if and how I can connect my 2011 MBP to my mid-2011 iMac 21.5" using thunderbolt, to make the iMac an external monitor for MBP? Both run Parallels Desktop and Windows 7. Many thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

You can't do it with the current adapters that are available. And I'm not sure if it would even work with a proper two way Thunderbolt adapter. The 21.5" iMac has one video port and it's only an output port while the 27" iMac has two TB ports: one in and one out.
QUOTE Thanks
JDMcN

JDMcN is on a distinguished road

Many thanks for the quick reply. I still would like to use both my MBP and iMac at the office so that I am working on the iMac and can easily take my work with me on the MBP when travelling. If I cannot work off the MBP using the iMac monitor at my desk, is it possible to set them up with my Thunderbolt cable so that while I work on the iMac in the office, my MBP is kept synced with all files being updated? Can I set up the MBP as an external drive for the iMac and have them automatically synced?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« All in one printer suggestions for Mountain Lion | Network Printer not working - Mountain Lion »