New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

First TM backup to TC erroring out

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

xdunlapx

xdunlapx is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: cMBP 13" mid-2012, 2.9 ghz i7, 8gb ram, 256 gb SSD,

I'm trying to figure out how to fix this. I'm brand new to Mac computers and mac peripherals. I'm using my Time Capsule as a router and a backup drive. Or at least trying to. I have the router part set up fine. It works. Now in Time Machine it continuously says "preparing backup" until it errors out. I can't remember the error right now but it wont connect. It has something to do with my auto-created folder on the TC. I'm waiting for it to time out again so I can tell you the error. I don't know how long it'll take to error out but it seems to be taking forever. I was away from the computer for a while when it errored out.

The icon in the menu bar for TM showed an exclamation point in it though.

I do have the TC set up as the backup drive. There are 2TB out of 2TB left on the drive, I haven't had any successful backups yet. Today is my first day with my new MBP and TC.

I can't find any info on the internet that I think is relavent.. So that's why I'm asking here. I hope you guru's can help me.

EDIT::: The backup disk image “/Volumes/Time Capsule/Brittany’s MacBook Pro.sparsebundle” could not be created (error 17).

But when I looked on the TC drive on dads computer (windows 7) it was there. Now when I look at it from my mac it's not there. There is nothing on the drive at all. I'm so confused! Help, please!

EDIT2: Found the problem. I had to remove an apostraphy that was in the name of my Time Capsule backup. It was listed as Brittany's Macbook Pro or something like that so I had to remove the apostraphy, which I just renamed my computer Macbook Pro instead of Brittany's Macbook Pro.
QUOTE Thanks
Squabbler

Squabbler is on a distinguished road

You're new but you are already helping people. I've recently swapped from Windows to Mac and have just bought a TC. I had the same problem as you and have de-apostrophised my computer name in the hope that this'll work.

Will let you know...
QUOTE Thanks
xdunlapx

xdunlapx is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: cMBP 13" mid-2012, 2.9 ghz i7, 8gb ram, 256 gb SSD,

I'm hopeful changing your computers name will fix the problem. I hope I helped. I had googled the issue and found the answer I think on the apple.com forum.

Hope it helps!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« what is up with apple | Set printer to mono? »