New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

Using MyBook Live & Time Capsule together: good idea?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

googolplex

googolplex is on a distinguished road

I am running OS X 10.7.4 Lion, with Time Machine backing up to a Time Capsule (incidentally also running VMWare Fusion 5 and a Windows Vista virtual machine).

I am getting a Chromebook for the kids, and considering attaching a MyBook Live to the Time Capsule to serve as a home NAS (NOT as an alternative target for Time Machine backups).

I would be grateful for any feedback on whether this is doable and a good idea. Are there any caveats, or reasons NOT to do this? Thank you for your help.
QUOTE Thanks
Deckyon

Deckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really nice
Mac Specs: MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM

I have a drive hooked up to my AirPort Extreme for use with Time Machine. I have a WD MyBook Live hooked up via Ethernet (yay GB Ethernet) for use as NAS and they play together great. No reason the TC wont work the same way.

MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6750M 1GB RAM
MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256MB RAM
iPhone 5S 64GB, iPad Gen3 32GB WiFi, iPod Nano Gen6 8GB, Apple TV 3 & 2
QUOTE Thanks
googolplex

googolplex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deckyon View Post
I have a drive hooked up to my AirPort Extreme for use with Time Machine. I have a WD MyBook Live hooked up via Ethernet (yay GB Ethernet) for use as NAS and they play together great. No reason the TC wont work the same way.
Thank you very much...I saw some concerns with Apple versus Windows formatting (particularly with the Seagate GoFlex).

Would using a gigabyte switch between the Time Capsule and the NAS be further insurance for playing nice, or is that unnecessary?
QUOTE Thanks
Deckyon

Deckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really nice
Mac Specs: MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM

you will use the web interface to set up the NAS, not a computer itself.

MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6750M 1GB RAM
MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256MB RAM
iPhone 5S 64GB, iPad Gen3 32GB WiFi, iPod Nano Gen6 8GB, Apple TV 3 & 2
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Drobo FS or Drobo S | Thunderbolt or Mini Display Port »