New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

external hard drive not showing up in finder - help!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

blg2

blg2 is on a distinguished road

Need some guidance...

My WD external hard drive is not mounting in finder/on the desktop, but it does show up in Disk Utility. I tried repairing it in disk utility, and it says the disk cannot be repaired, and to backup what's on it and erase the disk. The drive seems to be working, but it must have gotten disconnected improperly.

Is there a way to back up what's on this hard drive if I can't actually get into it through finder?
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

It's hard to say what's wrong with the drive but if Disk Utility says the drive can not be repaired, it means that it can not access the drive. That's not a good sign because even recovery software has to access the drive first before it can recover any data.

If the WD is no longer in warranty, you may be able to remove the drive from the WD case and mount it in an external USB carrier. Sometimes that will work if it's the drive interface electronics that have failed rather than the mechanical workings of the drive itself.
QUOTE Thanks
blg2

Oh no...

So software like Disk Warrior and things like that won't actually help if Disk Utility is saying it's unable to repair the disk?

If the enclosure doesn't end up being the problem, what options are left for recovering the things on the hard drive? I had been hoping it would be a good sign that Disk Utility atleast shows the drive..
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

You can certainly try Disk Warrior if you wish. The reason I didn't recommend it is because it's expensive and may not be able to access the drive. If they have a trial version, download that first.

Other choices? There are none except to pay for expensive data recovery. However, I would try the external carrier if Disk Warrior doesn't work as that would be an inexpensive solution.
QUOTE Thanks
blg2

Gotcha, thanks so much for your advice. One more question for you, if I may..

I ran a trial version of Ease US Data Recovery Wizard on the external hard drive, and it is detecting files on the drive - is that a good sign, or is that neither here nor there? Just wondering if that gives any indication of the software successfully accessing the drive

Thanks again
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

THere will be files on that drive, but most likely the formatting informations has got corrupted, Try the trial version of Disk Warrior to see if it can repair the disk or rescue any content before shelling out money

Member of the Month September 2008 & August 2012 | Found advice useful? use the rep system
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Green light over ipad2 not lighting up | Help with HDMI Resolution »