New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

Airport Extreme Wireless

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

unbelievable

unbelievable is on a distinguished road

I've just had BT infinity set up in my house and it has to be connected to the main phone socket. So now I've got the BT infinity box, plus another box they have to connect and a load of cabling sitting on my kitchen worksurface.

I've got an airport extreme base station which I use to run a small network here: two iMacs, an Apple TV and a shared printer. I've tried setting up the airport extreme in another room (so I don't have to add yet more boxes and cabling to the kitchen pile) but I can only get it to work when it's hard wired into the BT router with an ethernet cable.

Is it possible to set up the Airport Extreme in another room so it picks up the internet connection wirelessly? Or does it have to be part of the leaning tower of network in the kitchen?
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

Your Airport Extreme base station's WAN port must be connected to the BT cable modem so that it can get the necessary information to then allow others to connect to it through WiFi. If you were already provided a ruoter from BT as opposed to a regular modem, then you have 2 devices that want to connect to the modem and you have to figure out how you can replace the BT router with the AE.

--
Regards
...Ashwin

Be sure to read the Community Guidelines | The more information you provide, the better answers you get, remember GIGO.
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.9, iPhone5s, iPad Air, AppleTV2

to add to that .....

if you have the BT infinity router and the VDSL modem you can (so long as you get your username and password from BT) replace the router with your AE and connect the VDSL modem to it.

However the Infinity router is a pretty capable device so it maybe worth running just that to see how you get on.

You can have the AE connect to your infinity router as a bridge but it'll serve little purpose to be honest.

It comes down to which router has the best features that work best in your environment really.

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iCloud and Blackberry Help | Green light over ipad2 not lighting up »