Invisible/Hidden Files On External Hard Drive!
    Hi Guys. my external hard drive has been acting up. First, it would stop halfway each time I would try to copy something over and I would get a error -36 Code. And now, it won't show my files. I see about 4 files but the rest arn't there. I know my files are still there because the most of the space on my external is used. And when I try to cope something over I get this message "The item "asda" can’t be replaced because it’s invisible." Also, when I can copy something over it will copy and it won't show up.

I've tried the terminal code:
    defaults write com.apple.Finder AppleShowAllFiles YES

And also, I've tried verifying the disk in disk utilities and I would get this message:
    "Errors were found but not fixed 'cause read-only
    I'm too afraid to repair the disk because I don't know if it will delete everything.

Oh and when I look at the hidden files with the terminal code I see 3 .fuse_hidden? What does that mean?

I'm using a Western Digitalģ My Bookģ Essential™ USB 3.0 External Hard Drive, 2TB NTFS
    and my computer is a Macbook Pro Summer 2010 model running on OS X 10.8

Please please pleaseeeeeeee someone reply, I have a lot of important files on there! Thank you!

Specs:
    21in. iMac 10.11 --- HP Linux Mint 18
    Do you use this drive on a Windows PC also? If not why are you using NTFS instead of the native Mac format?
    If you can try hooking it up to a windows pc and see if you can retrieve your files.
    Your best bet if using on Mac and windows is FAT32 unless you're using files over 4 gig in size.
    One manís theology is another manís belly laugh.
    -Lazarus Long

Somebody set it up for me because at the time I didn't know what I was doing but if I reformat it right now i would have to move about 900 gigs and I don't know where I could store it

Specs:
    21in. iMac 10.11 --- HP Linux Mint 18
    Well, it looks like you're using macfuse, which lets a mac write an NTFS drive and there's something wrong with the installation.
    I would try downloading the latest version from Macupdate and reinstalling it. Actually, the latest is this; http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/40156/osxfuse
    Macfuse is no longer being developed.
    Otherwise you're gonna need a windows box and another LARGE drive (or a couple of smaller ones).
    One manís theology is another manís belly laugh.
    -Lazarus Long

Will it be smart to repair my external hard drive in Disk Utilities? Or since it's a NTFS Drive, will it delete all of my data??

Specs:
    Late 2013 27" iMac, iPad 3, iPhone 6s+, iPhone 6+, 3 iPods, Sierra
    Disk Utility can not repair a drive formatted to NTFS. In order to repair the drive, attach it to a PC, open a command prompt and type in: chkdsk /f x: (where x is the letter of the external drive)

Also, MacFuse is buggy, no longer being developed, and is know to cause errors and problems. If you really need a driver for NTFS access, the one we recommend is Paragon NTFS from Paragon software. ($19.95)

Specs:
    2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.11, 8 GB mem, iPhone 6+
    If this is an NTFS drive I don't think you will get far with repairing errors using Disk Utility especially if member cradom is right about that driver going flaky. Unless I am dead wrong (see warning in my sig) you're going to want to use a Windows utility to repair errors if it can't be read.

You might want to take a look at a different NTFS driver and see if that helps. My choice would be Paragon NTFS for Mac OS X software. There is a demo version that might give you an idea whether the files can be read.
    "Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling

I'm already using Paragon! I don't know what's wrong because every time I verify my external it tells me that errors are found but can't be fixed because it's read-only and my permissions for my external says that I can read and write!

Specs:
    Read Post # 6 again and follow the directions given.

Ok! I just connected it to my Gateway laptop and everything shows up just fine on it..should I still follow directions for post 6 or try something else??

Specs:
    Go ahead and run chkdsk on the drive just in case it does have errors. So yes, follow the directions I gave you previously in Post 6. If there are any errors that should take care of it.

Ok! I'm trying to run it right now and I'm not getting it. Can you give the directions in a more detailed way??

Thread Information