New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

How do I get the McAfee usb-hdn2-320GBF to work on my mac

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Yetitrician

Yetitrician is on a distinguished road

I have a new MacBook Pro with OSX 10.8 and I have a encrypted usb drive non-bio.

the hd starts and is viewable but when i enter my password i get this error

Error: SSD_RET_IO_ERROR
File Name: /Users/buildgates-head/builds/autobuild/MAC_ACCESS/SSD/mac/ssdsdk/macdriver.cpp
File Date: 12:09:59 Nov 30 2010
File Line Number: 295
Call Stack:

MacDriver::sendCommand
MXPG2_RawDeviceCom::send
MXPG2_RawDeviceCom::SendRequest
DeviceChannel::transact
FilterChannel::transact
SecureChannelClient::transact
MXPG2_DeviceManagement::directComm
DeviceManagement::execCommand
MXPG2_UserPassword::Authenticate
SSD_AuthenticateInternal
unlockWithPwd
authenticate
authenticate

Is there a fix or workaround for this or do i have to still use my PC do be productive!?

This is my first apple product and i would like it to be a good experience, like all things i am sure it has its short comings.

thanks
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

It would appear as though the drive is encrypted with McAfee's own proprietary encryption firmware/software. Your PC likely has a special driver that is designed to allow this access, or the driver is automatically loaded the first time you connect it to a machine. Or (heaven help you) it's a corporate drive and works in tandem with McAfee's craptastic DLP and EPO solutions. Perhaps this post on McAfee's own forums may help you to find a cipher of some sort to decrypt the drive:

https://community.mcafee.com/thread/47694

Assuming the drive is not locked by a hardware mechanism, you may want to consider other software-based options.

TrueCrypt or Mac OS X's own encrypted DMG format may prove more flexible.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
Yetitrician

Yetitrician is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwa107 View Post
It would appear as though the drive is encrypted with McAfee's own proprietary encryption firmware/software. Your PC likely has a special driver that is designed to allow this access, or the driver is automatically loaded the first time you connect it to a machine. Or (heaven help you) it's a corporate drive and works in tandem with McAfee's craptastic DLP and EPO solutions. Perhaps this post on McAfee's own forums may help you to find a cipher of some sort to decrypt the drive:

https://community.mcafee.com/thread/47694

Assuming the drive is not locked by a hardware mechanism, you may want to consider other software-based options.

TrueCrypt or Mac OS X's own encrypted DMG format may prove more flexible.
Unfortunately, this was a work provided device the HD that is so i am limited on what i can do with it, which is pretty much everything, I don't even have admin access.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Best Device to watching my basic cable TV on my iPad: EyeTV, Slingbox, other? | All in one printer suggestions for Mountain Lion »