15" Macbook Pro Coolers??
    Hi everyone,

I'm having a bit of a problem. My Macbook shuts down when it gets scorching hot (ie: when I'm editing a video or playing a game.)

I've read online that coolers aren't really necessary...but when your laptop shuts off in the middle of video editing without any warning...a fail-safe...I'd say a cooler is needed.

And there's nothing wrong with my fans, just opened it up a few days ago to clean the dust and make sure the fans were running properly. They're still reading at 6000 RPM like they are brand new.

So...are there any good coolers out there that are suitable for a 15" Macbook Pro (late 2006)?

EDIT: Not sure if this helps or anything, but I've noticed the most shut offs while I'm in XP and playing a (low graphic intensity) game. When I booted back into OSX, these are the temp readings I got from my iStat pro widget. (time was approx 2 minutes after auto shutdown)

HD: Macintosh HD (Harddrive) - 57 C
    CPU = 113 C
    Enclosure base = 41 C
    GPU = 68 C
    GPU Heatsink= 74 C

Fort Worth, Texas
    27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, iPhone 6+, 3 iPods, El Capitan
    I can see why it shut down. The CPU is running real hot, hotter than boiling water (100 C). You probably need to take the machine apart again, but this time remove the CPU heat sink. Clean it off real good and then apply a new thin layer of Arctic Silver Five thermal compound. Remember, a thin layer, not globs of it which will make it worse.

Do you have your Macbook elevated on something or flat on the surface? Try elevating it during use, so the hot air is not trapped below your Macbook.

Thread Information