New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

TV resolution setting just DISAPPEARED

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

jr1000

jr1000 is on a distinguished road

EDIT: I have a 2009 17" macbook pro connected to a sony bravia LCD TV via the mini displayport connector to a VGA monitor cable, and it has been working fine for years... when tonight suddenly the highest resolution setting on the TV I was using 1920x1080 just disappeared from the menu of options.

I thought it was a hardware/cable problem... sometimes when the cable comes loose the picture or resolution settings gets messed up... but after trying several different VGA cables, I dont think they're the problem.

Once or twice the old 1920x1200 setting would reappear for some reason I couldnt identify, but then would disappear again. It's been really frustrating not being able to identify the cause of the problem!

Has anybody experienced this?

EDIT: Connected the laptop to another TV in the house (Sony LED TV) and the same problem arose - the highest resolution was not available, or had disappeared, when I have been able to use it at the setting in the past.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

You sure you're not looking for 1920x1080? That would typically be the highest resolution accepted as an input on almost all HD TVs.

If you're attempting to output at 1920x1200, you're forcing the TV to readjust that picture to 1920 x 1080 which will be it's native resolution - "assuming" your Sony is a 1080 TV and not a 720 TV.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
jr1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtomay View Post
You sure you're not looking for 1920x1080? That would typically be the highest resolution accepted as an input on almost all HD TVs.

If you're attempting to output at 1920x1200, you're forcing the TV to readjust that picture to 1920 x 1080 which will be it's native resolution - "assuming" your Sony is a 1080 TV and not a 720 TV.
Oh yeah that's what I mean, I forgot the actual resolution specifics... whichever is the highest available.

Also - I just tried to connect the laptop to another TV in the house (Sony LED TV) and the same problem emerged - the highest available resolution (1920x1080) had also disappeared, which previously I was able to use it at that setting.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

After having tried multiple VGA cables and another TV...

Just my best guess - it's time to replace the MDP to VGA adapter.

Have not had the issue myself, but have seen too many reports of these just not lasting for the 10-20+ years we've all come to expect our cables to work.

Personally, I'd go with one from monoprice - link.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
jr1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtomay View Post
After having tried multiple VGA cables and another TV...

Just my best guess - it's time to replace the MDP to VGA adapter.

Have not had the issue myself, but have seen too many reports of these just not lasting for the 10-20+ years we've all come to expect our cables to work.

Personally, I'd go with one from monoprice - link.
I posted the issue on another forum and a member also identified the mini displayport cable as the probable source of the problem... and come to think of it i have been treating it pretty rough. I'll get a new one and see how i go, thanks!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« My Mac won't connect to my TV | Can it be done? Thunderbolt display + Macbook Pro + Asus Gaming Rig »