New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

USB or network Quadra 650 7.5.3

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

FatherTime

FatherTime will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: llci to Mac Pro "26 Kids" all named Mac

Any one know how to get USB on a Quadra 650 7.5.3 If not how can I network the Quadra to a G3 iMac? I need to access the Quadra desk top from a G3 iMac.
QUOTE Thanks
gsahli

gsahli is a jewel in the roughgsahli is a jewel in the roughgsahli is a jewel in the rough

USB wouldn't work for Mac-to-Mac.
Can you tell us what you are trying to do?
QUOTE Thanks
FatherTime

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsahli View Post
USB wouldn't work for Mac-to-Mac.
Can you tell us what you are trying to do?
I want to transfer files via Thumb drive or some network between a Quadra 650 and a G3 iMac and a Cube.
QUOTE Thanks
gsahli

gsahli is a jewel in the roughgsahli is a jewel in the roughgsahli is a jewel in the rough

Network will be best. Do you have a router? Attach the 650 to the network vie ethernet and turn on file sharing.
QUOTE Thanks
FatherTime

Quote:
Network will be best. Do you have a router? Attach the 650 to the network vie ethernet and turn on file sharing.
I just need to connect to one Mac, do I have to use a router?
QUOTE Thanks
gsahli

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatherTime View Post
I just need to connect to one Mac, do I have to use a router?
A router makes joining a network easier/automatic.
To connect two Macs via ethernet directly, connect them, then in Network preferences or TCP/IP settings, configure manually and make the two computers be in the same local subnet. That means, set IP on one to 192.168.5.5 and 192.168.5.6 on the other, with subnet mask 255.255.255.0 on both.
Then, you need to turn On appletalk on both computers. Then turn on file sharing on both (only one is really needed - then the other computer must be the client).
QUOTE Thanks
FatherTime

Quote:
A router makes joining a network easier/automatic.
To connect two Macs via ethernet directly, connect them, then in Network preferences or TCP/IP settings, configure manually and make the two computers be in the same local subnet. That means, set IP on one to 192.168.5.5 and 192.168.5.6 on the other, with subnet mask 255.255.255.0 on both.
Then, you need to turn On appletalk on both computers. Then turn on file sharing on both (only one is really needed - then the other computer must be the client).
Will a Ethernet switch do the job automatic?
QUOTE Thanks
gsahli

No, an ethernet switch doesn't do DHCP (server software that tells computers what IP address they can use).
QUOTE Thanks
FatherTime

Quote:
No, an ethernet switch doesn't do DHCP (server software that tells computers what IP address they can use).
Ok I got an AAUI Ethernet connector for the Quadra and today will try this out, I have an extra router that I will use for this, So If I read this right all I need to do is join the two Mac's via the router and turn on file sharing and I can acces the Quadra from the G3 iMac?
QUOTE Thanks
gsahli

Ya,
In TCP/IP settings (Network settings) set it to configure automatically (via DHCP). You also need appletalk On for ethernet.
QUOTE Thanks
FatherTime

I can't find an automatic selection on the Quadra 650 7.5.3 for DHCP.
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

You can always set the ip address manually, what is the IP address of the router ( the G3 iMac should be able to tell you that)

Member of the Month September 2008 & August 2012 | Found advice useful? use the rep system
QUOTE Thanks
FatherTime

I've done that and now I can see the machines from each other but when I try to connect I get a AFP incompatible protocol message,.
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

which way are you connecting, Quadra to G3?, does the G3 have a floppy drive

Member of the Month September 2008 & August 2012 | Found advice useful? use the rep system
QUOTE Thanks
FatherTime

Quote:
Originally Posted by louishen View Post
which way are you connecting, Quadra to G3?, does the G3 have a floppy drive
No floppy drive on the G3

I'm trying to connect either way. Im only interested in transfering text files from one to the other.. I just did the manual set up with a single cable with out the router, So as you suggested in an earlier post I set IP on one to (192.168.5.5 G3) and (192.168.5.6 Quadra) on the other, with subnet mask 255.255.255.0 on both.

The one thing missing is the Quadrs asks for a gateway IP so I chose the same as the Quadra has, And I had to turn on EtherTalk to get the machines to see each other, Also the AppleTalk is on as is file sharing on both machines

I still get the AFP error
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Depressing a single keyboard key causes two key strokes to be registered | Network print jobs "On hold" ..why? »