New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

Did I get a good deal on these 3 old Macs?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

hddr3

hddr3 is on a distinguished road

Our local Mac repair shop has many old Apple equipment (Many Apple II, an Apple Lisa, 5 Macintosh portables, 50+ Plus/SE-30/Classic)He sold me a completely working Color Classic, a Power Macintosh 9500/350 with a Crescendo G4 CPU (ram maxed out at 1.5gb), and an SE/FDHD all for 30$

I have been looking for a color classic itself on ebay for a long time and they are all $800+, I feel like I just got one great deal!
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Do they all work? If so and you love old Macs like I do, that is a good deal!

This was way back, but I got a 7600 with a G4 Crescendo 400Mhz for $25 and it works great. I was able to load OS 10.2 on it in fact with that software loader.
QUOTE Thanks
hddr3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtravis7 View Post
Do they all work? If so and you love old Macs like I do, that is a good deal!

This was way back, but I got a 7600 with a G4 Crescendo 400Mhz for $25 and it works great. I was able to load OS 10.2 on it in fact with that software loader.
Yeah, they all work. Both the Color Classic and the SE-FDHD have very crisp displays, but I want to upgrade the memory on the Color classic from 4mb to max 10mb.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Very cool and a good deal then. I have a B&W Classic and 2 SE's with hard drives.
QUOTE Thanks
hddr3

Quote:
Originally Posted by anynamewilldo View Post
As useful machines to be productive, you paid too much. As something to fulfill a hobby, puttering around with computers, I think you did fine.

If people are buying them at that price, America is in worse shape than I thought.
Oh, if you thought that was a lot, a guy a week or so ago bought a 128k prototype for 100,000.00$...
Currently I do plan as making the Power macintosh as a secondary machine for Leopard 10.5.8 after putting in 12 ram sticks of 128mb and upgrading the GPU to a Radeon 7000 128mb, then I should have a machine as good as an early PowerMac G4 450mhz (crescendo g4 400mhz). I guess I will use it as a basic web browsing computer for downstairs and maybe I'll play some movies on it occasionally since it has a DVD-rom drive
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by anynamewilldo View Post
If people are buying them at that price, America is in worse shape than I thought.
They're buying them as collector's items, believe it or not.

Ever watch Pawn Stars or American Pickers on History? Never ceases to amaze me what people buy or sell for thousands or tens of thousands of dollars. One man's trash, is another's treasure...

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by hddr3 View Post
Our local Mac repair shop has many old Apple equipment (Many Apple II, an Apple Lisa, 5 Macintosh portables, 50+ Plus/SE-30/Classic)He sold me a completely working Color Classic, a Power Macintosh 9500/350 with a Crescendo G4 CPU (ram maxed out at 1.5gb), and an SE/FDHD all for 30$
I think that you got some awesome prices on those computers...I wish this Mac Repair Shop was located nearer to me!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hddr3 View Post
I have been looking for a color classic itself on ebay for a long time and they are all $800+, I feel like I just got one great deal!
Yeah...maybe there are a couple folks paying these prices for a VERY unusual examples of these computers (sometimes they come with a lot of accessories)...and so the computer is sold as a package deal (printer, carrying case, software, manuals, etc.)...making it a more unique hard to find assemblage of "vintage" computer items.

Also remember...just because something is listed for $800 bucks...doesn't mean folks are paying that price. This is just the price some "crazy" seller is putting on it...it may never actually sell for that price.

I would actually like to get a Color Classic myself...but I still find the $100-$200 price I see for a lot of them to high for my taste.

Bottom line...you got a really great deal on these computers!

- Nick

- Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Old Apple llc | Ical Blackberry »