New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

External Hard Drive (?)

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

oldfella

oldfella is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 24" iMac

I'm an oldie, and green at this. I am a proud owner of an iMac, with Lion OS X. I am told I should "back-up" my stuff, just in case. I have a 32GB flash drive, but I'm told that's not good enough; that I should have an 1T external hard drive, not empty - out-of-the-box ready(?). I need suggestions/recommendations as to what/which I should buy. How about helping this oldfella? Thanks in advance.

Pete (The Oldfella)
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4

From one old fell to another give the external drive serious consideration.On my iMac with no photos or music, the OS uses up about 35GB of the hard drive. Flash drives would, one imagines, need 15% free space to work efficiently.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
oldfella

Thanks Harry.

Does anyone else care to jump in here... how about this one: LaCie 2B d2 Quadra HDD - it has solid 5-star reviews. Please, help this old dummy. Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
Deckyon

Deckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really nice
Mac Specs: MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM

I hate to assume, but I am going to have to. I assume that "they" have been referring to Time Machine, which is the native backup software on all current Macs. If so, then yes, you will want an external hard drive that is twice the size of the drive in your Mac. This is a general rule, but one to paid attention to.

On my MBP, I have a 1 TB drive hooked up to my Airport Extreme that is used only to back the computer up with Time Machine.
On my MacMini, I have a 1 TB drive hooked up directly to the machine to use with Time Machine.

The first time you connect the drive to Time Machine, it will guide you through getting it set up properly. Then, it will run a complete backup of the system to the TM drive. After that is done, TM will only backup changes to the drive; like if you install, remove, add, delete any files of applications, including photos. What is nice about this is that you can literally go back in time for previous version of individual files or full restore after installing an errant application.

It is because of the incremental backups that you want a larger drive. At a certain point, no matter how large the drive, it will have to overwrite previous incremental backups in order to keep going. This is normal. The one on my MBP took a year before it got to that point, but it is working flawlessly and maintained the very first full backup, just removing the oldest incremental. My MacMini hasnt been online that long yet, and because most of its data is on another external, it will be a while before it will start overwriting.

TM has saved my **** a couple times when I thought I lost a Final Cut Pro project. Kept us from having to reshoot.

Lots of info, yes. But it works.

Both my computers have 500GB drives, which is why I go the 1TB drives.

MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6750M 1GB RAM
MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256MB RAM
iPhone 5S 64GB, iPad Gen3 32GB WiFi, iPod Nano Gen6 8GB, Apple TV 3 & 2
QUOTE Thanks
pmdureska

pmdureska is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deckyon View Post
I hate to assume, but I am going to have to. I assume that "they" have been referring to Time Machine, which is the native backup software on all current Macs. If so, then yes, you will want an external hard drive that is twice the size of the drive in your Mac. This is a general rule, but one to paid attention to.

On my MBP, I have a 1 TB drive hooked up to my Airport Extreme that is used only to back the computer up with Time Machine.
On my MacMini, I have a 1 TB drive hooked up directly to the machine to use with Time Machine.

The first time you connect the drive to Time Machine, it will guide you through getting it set up properly. Then, it will run a complete backup of the system to the TM drive. After that is done, TM will only backup changes to the drive; like if you install, remove, add, delete any files of applications, including photos. What is nice about this is that you can literally go back in time for previous version of individual files or full restore after installing an errant application.

It is because of the incremental backups that you want a larger drive. At a certain point, no matter how large the drive, it will have to overwrite previous incremental backups in order to keep going. This is normal. The one on my MBP took a year before it got to that point, but it is working flawlessly and maintained the very first full backup, just removing the oldest incremental. My MacMini hasnt been online that long yet, and because most of its data is on another external, it will be a while before it will start overwriting.

TM has saved my **** a couple times when I thought I lost a Final Cut Pro project. Kept us from having to reshoot.

Lots of info, yes. But it works.

Both my computers have 500GB drives, which is why I go the 1TB drives.
i have used LaCie external drives (four of them in fact) to back up both my windows computer and my iMac. they have worked flawlessly over the past 4 years. only problem i had was the very first one i bought i had to return it .
QUOTE Thanks
oldfella

Thanks for your useful input, fellers. Unless I am otherwise dissuaded, I think I will go with the LaCie 2TB HDD. I assume that particular us unit is ready to hook up right out of the box. Again, thank you, much appreciated.

Pete
QUOTE Thanks
oldfella

One more question, please: I am planning to buy the "LaCie" 1TB external drive #302001. Is this item ready to go out of the box, or do I have to do anything to make it work, like "partition" it (?). Thanks in advance.

Pete (The Oldfella)
QUOTE Thanks
zannyy

zannyy is on a distinguished road

i bought a buffalo media player and i would like to down load videos from my mac passport external hardrive. It does not seem to be compatible, why not?
QUOTE Thanks
Lightcraftsman

Lightcraftsman is a jewel in the roughLightcraftsman is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 13-inch 2009 MacBook Pro, 2011 iMac 21.5-inch 2.5GHz, 16GB iPad 2, 160GB iPod Classic, iPhone 5

Welcome oldfart, er, oldfella.

Before you spend the money on the LaCie drive check out OWC 2.0TB Mercury Elite Pro. The OWC drives come with excellent service/support and backup software (Carbon Copy Cloner).

I have had issues with LaCie's support in the past when my LaCie external drive failed two weeks out of warranty and LaCie said essentially, tough luck. OWC's service has always been exemplary, and their prices are quite competitive. I have seven of their external drives connected to my computer.

"It's got to come from the heart, if you want it to work."
Guy Clark

Light Craftsman website
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« seagate goflex question | Savin Printers & Macs »