New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

I've gone through 5 Macbook Chargers

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

DrPhil321

DrPhil321 is on a distinguished road

For the life of my I can't figure out why I need to go through so many chargers!

1) Was an Apple Magsafe Charger. The standard "T" charger. That one just simply died.

2) Was one of those 3rd party "T" charger. That one made heavy static noise and just died.

3) Was also an Apple Magsafe Charger "T". This one suffered from that stress near the bottom of the "T".

4) Was a 3rd party "L" charger. This one worked beautifully, but like the other, it died.

5) Was an Apple Magsafe Charger "T" that died out.

All of them, except 3, started out with me having to reposition the chargers wire. Eventually, they just ceased to work. I plan on taking number 5 to an Apple Store. But I need to know if anyone else is having my problem? Or if they know what my problem is? I could do without an annoying drive to my nearest Apple Store.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPhil321 View Post
But I need to know if anyone else is having my problem? Or if they know what my problem is? I could do without an annoying drive to my nearest Apple Store.
In all of my experience...I have never heard of anyone going thru 5 chargers with a single computer.

I hate to say it...but I don't think that it's a hardware issue! There's either something (bad habits) you're doing that is causing the chargers to fail...or you're a most unlucky person!

I cannot even begin to guess what "bad" computing habits could be causing this...other than general rough handling of the charger & tripping over the cord...over & over & over.

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
XJ-linux

XJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBookAir5,2:10.9.4-MacMini3,1:10.9.4-iPhone6,1:7.1.2

You've tried a number of charger variations with similar results (except the T connector breaking - a known warranty replacement issue). This would lead me to conclude that:
-it's the laptop power management and/or
-it's the power quality running through your home/office and/or
-some sort of user issue physically stressing/bending the cable
I'd suggest taking an Apple T connector version to an Apple Store and seeing if they will replace with an L connector under warranty. If they do, don't stress it and see if it "dies" for some other reason.
Sounds to me like it's not the charger per-se but something else.

"Those who don't understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly." Henry Spencer
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Have a look at this article (and the included links):

http://www.onedigitallife.com/2007/1...e-power-cable/

If the problem isn't the result of physical damage (which yours does seem to be in some of the cases), I would also be concerned about the wiring in your home or office (depending on where the charger primarily is plugged into).

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
XJ-linux

XJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwa107 View Post
Have a look at this article (and the included links):

http://www.onedigitallife.com/2007/1...e-power-cable/

If the problem isn't the result of physical damage (which yours does in some of the cases), I would also be concerned about the wiring in your home or office (depending on where the charger primarily is plugged into).
Apparently I was a split second quicker. JK You get points for including a link though!

"Those who don't understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly." Henry Spencer
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

FWIW I have 5 MacBook (and MacBook Pro) chargers and have never had problems with any of them. So I would have to agree your experience is out of the ordinary.

I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .
QUOTE Thanks
trevanick

trevanick is on a distinguished road

We've been through at least that many in the last 5 years. We have 3 macbook pros and I think the family put undue pressure on the connector. Using them in bed, moving around, couches, etc. I think the old style held up better. Also thinking wrapping the cords tightly shortens the life span. Had faults at both ends of the power brick. I have pretty much given up hope and basically keep ordering a new one every 9 months to a year. Just bought a rMBP so I won't have to share my charger with anyone else- hopefully the problem is not me!
QUOTE Thanks
mckait

mckait is on a distinguished road

I have had similar experiences with macbook power cords. In five years, I have had 7-8? I have lost count. I have had 2-3 Apple products, and other knock offs. The issue is ALWAYS the same. The cord itself breaks at one end or the other. I never wrap the cord. I do not leave it plugged in when I am away from the computer due to fear of issues. Either the cord at the computer end of the cord just breaks, exposing wires.. or once, recently ( With the APPLE power cord I purchased in December) the block that plugs into the wall simply fell apart in my hand as I was plugging it in. I had plastic and little bits of metal on a cord that I had used for about one week.

Incidentally.. my whole house has been rewired over the last few years by a certified electrician. I do not carry my laptop with me anywhere. It lives next to my reading chair, and there is a plug just behind it, so the cord is not over stretched.

I called the APPLE store yesterday with questions about the problem, as I am thinking about getting a new laptop. I wanted to know if this known issue of crappy power cords had been addressed. I first spoke to someone in sales. He transferred me to a customer service person who spoke to me condescendingly and then hung up when I asked his name. Wow.

Anyone have thoughts on this issue or suggestions for me?
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckait View Post
I have had similar experiences with macbook power cords. In five years, I have had 7-8? I have lost count. I have had 2-3 Apple products, and other knock offs. The issue is ALWAYS the same. The cord itself breaks at one end or the other. I never wrap the cord. I do not leave it plugged in when I am away from the computer due to fear of issues. Either the cord at the computer end of the cord just breaks, exposing wires.. or once, recently ( With the APPLE power cord I purchased in December) the block that plugs into the wall simply fell apart in my hand as I was plugging it in. I had plastic and little bits of metal on a cord that I had used for about one week.

Incidentally.. my whole house has been rewired over the last few years by a certified electrician. I do not carry my laptop with me anywhere. It lives next to my reading chair, and there is a plug just behind it, so the cord is not over stretched.

I called the APPLE store yesterday with questions about the problem, as I am thinking about getting a new laptop. I wanted to know if this known issue of crappy power cords had been addressed. I first spoke to someone in sales. He transferred me to a customer service person who spoke to me condescendingly and then hung up when I asked his name. Wow.

I've owned probably 5-6 of these power adapters in their various generations (the standard T-fitting, large 85W adapter, the smaller 85W adapter, again with the T-Fitting, and now the L-fitting cords). I've yet to have one break or lead to exposed wiring, though I will agree that due to the cable thickness/design, I can certainly see where they might be more delicate than the average laptop power adapter.

One thing that comes to mind - do you often wrap the cords around the included flip-out hooks? If so, are you careful to not tightly wrap the cord?

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckait View Post
I have had similar experiences with macbook power cords. In five years, I have had 7-8? I have lost count.

The cord itself breaks at one end or the other. I never wrap the cord. I do not leave it plugged in when I am away from the computer due to fear of issues. Either the cord at the computer end of the cord just breaks, exposing wires..

No matter how careful you say you're being with your chargers...you're doing something that is "abusive" to them. 7-8 chargers in 5 years is totally something user related.

I'm not saying that these chargers are "bullet-proof"...or that someone may occasionally have to get a new charger if they have an accident. But I have had way too much experience with these magsafe chargers to know that 7-8 chargers in 5 years is TOTALLY something user-related...ESPECIALLY if like you say...your computer is not carried anywhere.

Too many of us frequently travel with our MacBooks/MacBook Pros/MacBook Airs:

- in & out of a bag each day for work
- in & out of the car each day
- in & out of a computer bag when going thru airport security
- in & out of a computer bag at an airport terminal, Starbuck's, school during classes, etc. etc.

...and none of us are going thru 7-8 magsafe chargers in 5 years.

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

Heck, mine gets kicked/knocked/pulled out of my MBP 3-6 times a day (love you apple for this invention/innovation) and the cord still looks the same and works flawlessly as it did the day i got it, apart from dirt marks from it laying across a thorough fare.
Something is surely amiss.

CogFrog Studio's ~ Photography, Apps and Web Development
Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
mckait

I never wrap it. Not ever. I leave it on the table. It is sometimes curled a little, but unplugged and not stretched or bent. ALL of the replacement charges on the APPLE site have 1.5 or 2 stars, so I have to believe it isn't just me. Who is giving those low ratings?

I work in a library. I do not take my laptop. When I travel, I take my nook or iPad for accessing the internet.

The L fitting cord is the one that fell apart in my hand.
QUOTE Thanks
osxx

osxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3

I still have a working charger from a dead 2006 MBP never had any of my friends have charger problems except internal on the MBP's the externals keep working.
QUOTE Thanks
XJ-linux

Blah, blah, blah... Yep, I'm convinced now that Apple sucks, their customer service sucks, and their chargers suck. They could have specifically targeted mckait with defective products and linked those products to mckait in some way such that even customer service is aware of this and is extra rude on the phone. It happens all the time, or only in this mckait's case, whichever makes you feel more righteous or vindicated. Whatever the issue is, it doesn't sound like there is a solution for you mckait. You are just plain screwed because either Apple sucks intentionally or out of incompetence or greed, or because you are just uniquely special in how unfair life and luck are to you in this regard. Not sure there is much else to say. Personally, I'd suggest just selling your Mac and getting some other computer so Apple quits targeting you with their inferior products and vapid support personnel. Good luck.

QUOTE Thanks
mckait

Well actually Senior member... my whole point is that that I want a new macbook air. I am concerned about the power cords. You are quite the ***, aren't you? Perhaps you were the customer service agent that I spoke with who hung up when I asked for suggestions? I have two iPhones, an iPad and an iPod touch. None of these have ever given me a problem with their power cords. Being semi-retired and on a much lower income now, I am concerned about the issue. And your comment ignores mine, about the 1.5 and 2 star reviews. You simply took the opportunity to be unkind. Good for you. I hope it made you feel good, or at least powerful. That type of behavior is often connected to other inadequacies. Shame that..

I certainly hope that some of your other 3,000 plus posts were more helpful.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Xbox controller driver | Cannot get Time Capsule to back up via ethernet »