New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

Looking for a WIFI Repeater

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

hockeydave55

hockeydave55 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Apple iMac MB950LL/A 21.5-Inch Desktop

I am looking for suggestions for a wifi repeater. I currently have an AirPort Extreme hooked up to my network, and am still having trouble reaching the other side of the house with wifi. I have started to read up on them but would rather get opinions from people that use them. Anyone here have any good recommendations?
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

if you have an airport extreme then the airport express might be a good add on

Apple (United Kingdom) - AirPort Express - A powerful little Wi-Fi base station.

You could get one second hand

Member of the Month September 2008 & August 2012 | Found advice useful? use the rep system
QUOTE Thanks
hockeydave55

Never thought of that. Thanks. Have you tried it?
QUOTE Thanks
wirepuller134

wirepuller134 is on a distinguished road

We use these and have had very good luck out of them. Not sure what your budget is though.

Newegg.com - HAWKING HOW2R1 Hi-Gain Outdoor Wireless-300N Dual Radio Smart Repeater
QUOTE Thanks
Stanley

Stanley will become famous soon enough

You can also load "connectify" onto a puter that is in range, but towards your low signal zone.

Then from the low signal area you connect to it as a hotspot.
QUOTE Thanks
MacTechie

MacTechie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by louishen View Post
if you have an airport extreme then the airport express might be a good add on...

Problem I had with Airport Express was you have to use WDS, I had a lot of trouble getting WDS to work with different generation hardware (even though it was all Apple).

I'm using two MacRepeater 300 Mps 11n devices and they've worked really well for me. Inexpensive and simple to place (they plug right into a wall outlet). Best part is they don't need to mess with WDS. The documentation was great and setup was just a few clicks. I love the stuff that "just works."

As a perk I was able to plug an old iMac that didn't have wireless into one of them and now it get's internet access as well.

"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works." -- Steve
QUOTE Thanks
hockeydave55

Quote:
Originally Posted by wirepuller134 View Post
We use these and have had very good luck out of them. Not sure what your budget is though.

Newegg.com - HAWKING HOW2R1 Hi-Gain Outdoor Wireless-300N Dual Radio Smart Repeater
That's a little much for me. But it looks sick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacTechie View Post
Problem I had with Airport Express was you have to use WDS, I had a lot of trouble getting WDS to work with different generation hardware (even though it was all Apple).

I'm using two MacRepeater 300 Mps 11n devices and they've worked really well for me. Inexpensive and simple to place (they plug right into a wall outlet). Best part is they don't need to mess with WDS. The documentation was great and setup was just a few clicks. I love the stuff that "just works."

As a perk I was able to plug an old iMac that didn't have wireless into one of them and now it get's internet access as well.
I'm gonna try this. Thanks for the response.
QUOTE Thanks
RivaLCopy

RivaLCopy is on a distinguished road

Any updates on this?

I had a really cheap repeater years ago which cost me like $40 (well it was like 30 but I'm in the UK) which worked... just OK. I was looking here Cheapest Wifi Repeater | Wifi Repeaters Boosters and Range Extenders and it has some cheap suggestions which look good but I don't know if it'll do me.

I'm only trying to repeat the signal for like 2 more rooms mind letting me know how you got on?
QUOTE Thanks
jamesshelton

jamesshelton is on a distinguished road

I myself am pretty happy with Amped's SR10000 model, it has great range: Amped SR10000 Review - Wireless Repeater HQ.
QUOTE Thanks
jamieb63

jamieb63 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2011 MBP 2.3GHz Intel Corei5 4GB 1333 MHz DDR3 750GB HDD Snow Leopard

I just installed an Express to extend the range of my Extreme, wirelessly......working fine... signal boost is just what I needed to reach the far side of the house.
QUOTE Thanks
BrianLachoreVPI

BrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD

I always think getting the ethernet signal to the other side of the house and installing a 2nd wi-fi router is a better approach. Using a repeater - or the Airport Express cuts your available bandwidth significantly - as in half. May not be noticeable if your service rate isn't that high - but the higher your service rate is - the more likely you will be to notice it.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Having some issues with my external display | 2nd External monitor on Mac Pro »