New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

Problem Downloading Video Files on a Toshiba External Hard Drive.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Fire_Phoenix

Fire_Phoenix is on a distinguished road

I recently bought a new toshiba portable external hard drive and then converted it into a mac compatible hard drive. I have downloaded pictures, music, and documents beautifully on that hard drive. However, when it comes to video files I hit a bit of snag. I tried to download a couple of mp4 files onto the hard drive and some of these videos download onto it and for some it says there is an error in the video file. Even thought the video works perfectly. And most recently, I was downloading a couple of iTunes videos on to the hard drive and it did the same thing to a couple of those videos. Is there a way to fix this problem?
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.9, iPhone5s, iPad Air, AppleTV2

Which disk format did you use?

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks
Fire_Phoenix

Well, if you are talking about the disk format that was used to covert the toshiba to a Mac computer, then the format was MAC OS Extended Case Sensitive. But if you are talking about the disk format that is needed in order to download video files onto the hard drive then it would still be set to the normal factory settings.
QUOTE Thanks
gsahli

gsahli is a jewel in the roughgsahli is a jewel in the roughgsahli is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire_Phoenix View Post
But if you are talking about the disk format that is needed in order to download video files onto the hard drive then it would still be set to the normal factory settings.
I'm sure he's talking about the format of the external disk. One of the common errors is that format FAT32 limits individual files' max size to 4 GB. Video files are the files that most often exceed this size.
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute

I'm a bit confused by your use of downloading.

Are you downloading a video file onto your Mac then copying the file to the external.
O are you downloading the file direct to the external.
Do both ways give an error?

Is it all mp4s? Or just ones from iTunes?

What's the exact error you get? And what gives you the error?

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks
Fire_Phoenix

I'm downloading videos on to my Mac laptop and then I like to have a backup copy of the video on a external hard drive. I also buy videos on the itunes store and I also like to store them in the external hard drive as a backup. I have a 1 TB external hard drive, so there is enough space to store almost all my videos on my desktop and more. Mp4 and itunes videos are the biggest video files I store on it, but I have also stored flv files on there (I have had problems loading wmv files on the external). The error that is shown when one of videos I download onto it is as follows: "The Finder can’t complete the operation because some data in “(video file name).mp4” can’t be read or written.
(Error code -36)". Like I said before, the video file plays perfectly on my laptop.
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

From what you've said I'd suggest your disk or it's enclosure is failing.

Open Disk Utility and do a disk verify and repair on you're external drive

QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire_Phoenix View Post
Well, if you are talking about the disk format that was used to covert the toshiba to a Mac computer, then the format was MAC OS Extended Case Sensitive. But if you are talking about the disk format that is needed in order to download video files onto the hard drive then it would still be set to the normal factory settings.
Is there a pattern to the filenames that do not work? Especially if you try to go from say a name in all caps to one that is mixed case. I have noticed that sometimes when a drive is formatted as case sensitive the drive seems to balk a bit if you make that kind of change to a filename.

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks
Fire_Phoenix

Well, I verified the disk and repaired it twice and it still shows the same error for my videos that won't work. I also checked to see if the names of the videos would have that problem, but that doesn't seem to be the case. I try to get all the names of my video files in the same category so that they match and the itunes videos names are all correct when it comes to caps and non-caps. Should I try to erase the hard drive and re-format it again? Or is there another way to fix the problem?
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

Do you have another disk or pendrive to try?
Yours or borrowed? It would help narrow down the issue. After the disk check came back clean a faulty controller in the disk enclosure is my bet but trying another disk would support or wipe out that theory

QUOTE Thanks
Fire_Phoenix

What do you mean by another disk or pendrive? I not sure what to look for on the external, but from looking at the external I think I only made one disk just for myself.
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

I think he wants to know if you have another drive (hard drive/usb stick) that you could copy some of the files onto? If the files work then that would suggest the controller in the other drive enclosure may be bad.

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

Spot on

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Seagate Barracuda 500Gb external hard drive | Looking for a Macbook case to go travelling »