New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

External Drive Vs. Internal Drive + Caddy

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

cammerz

cammerz is on a distinguished road

My macbook is starting to get old and I've never backed up with Time Machine so I'm thinking of getting an external drive to back up with. But I'm also considering replacing my internal drive with an SSD drive to increase the speed slightly.

So what I want to know is can I buy an SSD drive and caddy to act as an external drive to back up with using time machine, then swap the internal drives, place the old internal drive into the caddy and use that as a normal external drive to back up with?
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

You can. There is no difference between them technically. That said, SSD is a huge waste as an external (unless you're using thunderbolt or esata) so I wouldn't waste my money on one for that use. It won't matter how fast the drive is, USB is slower as is firewire.

mike
This machine kills fascists
Got # ? phear the command line!
QUOTE Thanks
cammerz

Once I figure it all out and am confident it'd work, I'd use the SSD drive as my internal drive in the laptop then the old internal drive in the caddy as an external drive.
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

Confident what will work?

mike
QUOTE Thanks
cammerz

Replacing the current internal drive with an SSD drive will make it some what better.
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Quote:
Originally Posted by cammerz View Post
Replacing the current internal drive with an SSD drive will make it some what better.
It'll dramatically improve boot and application launch times. However, an SSD in an external is not going to show any improvement over a rotational drive in an external.

mike
QUOTE Thanks
macmacattack

macmacattack is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dysfunction View Post
It'll dramatically improve boot and application launch times. However, an SSD in an external is not going to show any improvement over a rotational drive in an external.
Dysfunction is spot on.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Brother HL2270DW printer woes | Looking for a wireless keyboard with tactile keys? »