New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

Magsafe Adapter : Utterly poor quality

Thread Closed

bidyut1

bidyut1 can only hope to improve

Hi,

I have been using Macbook Pro 13inch since last year. My first Magsafe adapter stopped working a month ago. It would not charge. I took my Mac to Apple Service center and they told me change the Magsafe adapter. I spent SGD $128 to buy a new Magsafe Adapter. Since the last 2 days even this adapter is giving problems. It would charge consistently.

Why does Apple make such rubbish and expensive products?

I switched from PC to Mac, out of frustration, but now I think I made a blunder. My experience with Macbook Pro has been nothing but frustrating.

I going to return this Macbook along with the crappy adapter at Apple's Singapore office and take a vow never to buy any Apple product is my life.
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

After one year you are going to return it? Will they take it back after 1 year?

Only MagSafe issue I ever had was when a pet literally peed on the magsafe end while it was powered on and it shorted out the IC that is in the end. Not Apples fault. Pet got chased around the house with squirt bottle! hahahahhahha Scared 8 of it's 9 lives away! Got one from Amazon (Genuine APple) for $25. Works great.
macuser1232

macuser1232 can only hope to improve
Mac Specs: Early 2011 13 inch MacBook Pro i5 with 8gb of Ram

Oh wow that's good you can get them cheap on amazon. You can probably get them cheap on ebay too. The only problem I have with my magsafe adapter for my 13 inch macbook pro is it scratches really easy on the plastic.
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtravis7 View Post
Got one from Amazon (Genuine APple) for $25. Works great.
I got a used genuine Apple Magsafe adapter off e-Bay for about $25 for the wife. She likes to have more than one...so she can move from room to room without having to plug/unplug the adapter from the wall.

It works great...have had it for probably 1-2 years...no problems!

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
rpg51

rpg51 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MBA 1.7 GHz Core i5, 4GB 1333 MHz DDR3 - Lion 10.7.4; Thunderbolt Display; 2011 iMac base w/SSD

I've had zero problems with my magsafe power supply and I really like the fact that it will beak away when someone kicks it.
macuser1232

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpg51 View Post
I've had zero problems with my magsafe power supply and I really like the fact that it will beak away when someone kicks it.
yup. though it will scratch up the side of the macbook pro where you connect the magnet to.
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by macuser1232 View Post
yup. though it will scratch up the side of the macbook pro where you connect the magnet to.
Not if you're the least bit careful about it.

To go back to the OP's point - I've now owned 6 MagSafe adapters and only had one fail (this one was plugged in 24/7/365 for 3 years). In my experience, that equates well with other adapters I've used in terms of lifespan.

Handling, the source of power and temperatures can also have an effect on the lifespan of the adapter. But if you're certain that it was a manufacturer's defect, then I would call Apple directly and see if they'll issue you a warranty replacement. If it's been within a year since purchase, I'm sure they'd swap it out.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
macuser1232

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwa107 View Post
Not if you're the least bit careful about it.

To go back to the OP's point - I've now owned 6 MagSafe adapters and only had one fail (this one was plugged in 24/7/365 for 3 years). In my experience, that equates well with other adapters I've used in terms of lifespan.

Handling, the source of power and temperatures can also have an effect on the lifespan of the adapter. But if you're certain that it was a manufacturer's defect, then I would call Apple directly and see if they'll issue you a warranty replacement. If it's been within a year since purchase, I'm sure they'd swap it out.
haha ohhh trust me I care for my macbook pro. i over protect my mac i'm not going to get into detail
bidyut1

Well 'dtravis7' I will return the MacBook with the Magsafe adapter, that's it. I won't claim anything in return, but i will take a video of my surrendering the Macbook because of the god fosaken Magsafe adapter and upload it to YouTube.

Response to other folks who replied to the post. First of all thanks for responding to the post.

I have no intention to purshase used Magsafe adapter from Amazon or Ebay. Used stuff works for some and does not work for many, that's where problem lies.

In my opinion, the MagSafe adapter is a weak-link.

Why doesn't Apple come up with an adapter that is rugged and that lasts longer? May be Apple does not care about the travails of its customers, who are wasting a **** lot of time and building up frustration becuase of the adapter related problems.

I bought a Sony Viao laptop 4 years ago for my parents. Man the laptop and the adapter are working well without any jerks.

Anyways thanks for sharing your experience.
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Way back in the iBook days people said the Adapter for the iBook (which looks very similar and is constructed the same as the MagSafe minus the Magnetic connector) always died. I have had mine for 7 years now it's it's as good as new. Used it all over the place.
bidyut1

I got a an Acer Desktop with an mini processor for the last 5 years. The CPU uses an adapter to connect to the power source. Even the Acer adapter works better than the Magsafe adapter.

A general expectation is that the adpaters should be rugged and reliable, at least that has been my experience with PC (Windows based Desktop or Laptop) adapters.

Now if Apple wants to secure a recurring earning (given its quality and cost) though making sub-standard Magsafe adapters then it is a different story.
dtravis7

I have 2 HP notebooks and the plug on the back of the one plus the adapter died 2x now. The other HP adapter runs so HOT i can cook Eggs on it (Literly)! Waiting for it to explode!
macuser1232

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtravis7 View Post
I have 2 HP notebooks and the plug on the back of the one plus the adapter died 2x now. The other HP adapter runs so HOT i can cook Eggs on it (Literly)! Waiting for it to explode!
sadly mac's have this problem too. not only with the adapter(sometimes) but with the computer!
dtravis7

besides spills, only time I have seen that happen is with
metal shavings in the Magsafe plug/jack. Magnets attract metal. I always check mine and keep it clean.

I have never had a Mac power adapter run that hot that I can not touch it.
bidyut1

Quote:
Originally Posted by macuser1232 View Post
sadly mac's have this problem too. not only with the adapter(sometimes) but with the computer!
Yes, my Mac is also behaving awkward after installing 'Lion OS'.

I think 'Lion OS' is the lost brother of Windows Vista. I bought Mac after devastating experience with Vista but OSX Lion is no better than Windows Vista.

Thread Closed

« Game controller for Mac? | Macintosh Classic II »