New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

seagate momentus xt hd

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

jaybiz32

jaybiz32 is on a distinguished road

Anyon have any expoericane with the seagate Momentus HDD 750gb hybrud drives in their macbook/macbook pro. Is there a performance boost? ANy compatibility issues.
QUOTE Thanks
Bob_Stan

Bob_Stan is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac 27" 3.5 Ghz Quad Core i7,SSD,3TB Fusio Fusion,32GB . MBPro 2.2Ghz 128GB SSD, 500GB HD, 8GB

I have been using one for about a year as a secondary drive with an OWC Drive Doubler, my boot drive is an SSD. I have had no problems but can't really evaluate any performance increase.
QUOTE Thanks
docx

docx has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: I Mac 27-inch 2.7 GHz Intel Core i5 12GB ram. MacBook Pro 13-inch 2.5GHz dual-core Intel i5 4GB ram

If the video on the Seagate website is to be believed its almost as fast as a true SSD.
Reviews on Ebuyer UK website seem to back this up
QUOTE Thanks
Lightcraftsman

Lightcraftsman is a jewel in the roughLightcraftsman is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 15-inch 2014 Retina MacBook Pro, 2012 Mac Mini, 160GB iPod Classic, iPhone 5

I have a Sandisk SSD and Seagate 500GB hybrid drive in my 2009 MBP. The hybrid drive is almost as fast as the SSD on boot up and opening applications. For most other uses it is simply the fastest 2.5-inch platter-based hard drive I have used.

The only compatibility issue with the 750MB hybrid drive is if you buy an OWC Data Doubler you will not be able to use the hybrid drive in place of the SuperDrive in the 13-inch MBP. The SATA controller for the SuperDrive is limited to 3GB/s and the 750GB hybrid drive is too fast for that controller. Install it in place of your hard drive and you'll be fine. The 15-inch and 17-inch MBPS will work fine with the 750GB hybrid drive in the secondary bay.

"It's got to come from the heart, if you want it to work."
Guy Clark

Light Craftsman website
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Is my power adapter and USB cable fake? | Installing HP C4780 on OSX 10.4 »