New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

Thunderbolt Display smaller than 27?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

rpg51

rpg51 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MBA 1.7 GHz Core i5, 4GB 1333 MHz DDR3 - Lion 10.7.4; Thunderbolt Display; 2011 iMac base w/SSD

My wife needs to get an external display for causal use with a MBA but 27 inches is too much. Is there a TBD smaller than 27 available? Rumors one will become available any time soon?
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpg51 View Post
My wife needs to get an external display for causal use with a MBA but 27 inches is too much. Is there a TBD smaller than 27 available?
Nope...27" is all there is.

Quote:
Rumors one will become available any time soon?
None that I am aware of.

One question for you. Does she NEED an Apple display? There are certainly MUCH less expensive options out there...various sizes as well.

- Nick

- Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
rpg51

Mac Specs: MBA 1.7 GHz Core i5, 4GB 1333 MHz DDR3 - Lion 10.7.4; Thunderbolt Display; 2011 iMac base w/SSD

That is a good question. I am attracted to the docking station aspect of the TBD. She won't enjoy unplugging and plugging in a lot of different connectors every time she leaves or comes back to her desk.
QUOTE Thanks
JohnCL

JohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: -->

Quote:
That is a good question. I am attracted to the docking station aspect of the TBD. She won't enjoy unplugging and plugging in a lot of different connectors every time she leaves or comes back to her desk.
That is the best feature of the TBD, but I highly doubt Apple will go down in size on the displays. A 24" TBD would be perfect, but these days bigger seems to win out. I see a larger one coming before a smaller one.

2.4GHz 13" rMBP 256gb | 2.5GHz Mac Mini w/ FusionDrive | Mac Pro 3,1 2x 2.8GHz | Dual 2.0GHz PowerMac G5 | 24" ACD | 64GB Verizon iPhone 6 Plus | iPad Air 2 64GB LTE | iPad mini 2 16GB | Gen 7 Nano | Gen 4 iPod Touch | TV1 | TV3
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
That is an attractive feature...but on the other hand...the 27" Apple display is $999 + tax (and the 27" is the only size Apple sells).

Compare this to many 24" displays that can be purchased for under $200. And really...the only cable that needs to be plugged in/unplugged when the laptop is used is the video cable.

What you could do...is buy a 24" external display for under $200...then buy a MacBook Pro "dock" (something like this for example for $69):

Henge Docks

This would probably meet all of you and your wife's needs:

- lower cost
- smaller size
- less cables to attach

The only problem with many docking stations is...they prevent use of the MacBook Pro's display (dual display mode). But if this is not a problem...then the dock listed above (or a similar one) + a less expensive smaller monitor...I think would be perfect for you.

- Nick

- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
QUOTE Thanks
rpg51

not MBP. That doc for the MBA does not look to be nearly as functional.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
not MBP. That doc for the MBA does not look to be nearly as functional.
Ok...small mistake. I don't think that the main issue here is whether it's a MBA or a MBP!

I think that you may be missing my point. If cost of the Apple display ($999) and it's size (27") are issues...then a 24" display for under $200 + a dock of some sort could be a solution.

Heck...you really don't even need the dock...since when connecting & disconnecting the computer really only involves a single cable (the video cable).

Also...there are more docks out there than the one I linked...that was just an example.

Just trying to help. Good Luck.

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
rpg51

No, I do get your point and it is a good one. It isn't so much the cost of the TBD, its the size. But I am beginning to think that my idea of eliminating her desktop computer is not such a good idea. Our habit is to use the desk top to run our household music system and other things that would be a pain if we tried to do it all from a laptop that is not always docked to the peripherals at her desk.

Thanks for the input. With out realizing it you helped me avoid an expensive mistake.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Good deal man!

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iPhone Digitizer Easy or Not | Using a PC Keyboard in Bootcamp »