New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

 
Start a Discussion
 

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

Is my power adapter and USB cable fake?


Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

 
Thread Tools
daviduarte

 
Member Since: Jun 20, 2012
Posts: 4
daviduarte is on a distinguished road

daviduarte is offline
Hello there,

I bought an USB power adapter and USB cable to use on my iPad2. When I was going to plug the first time I've found something odd, it was missing a symbol on the cable, so I started thinking it was fake.

The cable also says on it's extension: "Designed by Apple in California Assembled in China" which I think don't show on the original.

The power adapter looks oddily coloured and shaped, and is a bit dirty which looks like it was used, the big part looks original, but the small part doesn't. It's also important to mention they opened the box of the power adapter and put the cable inside.

I uploaded plenty of photos on my dropbox so you guys can take a look: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/gbmr10kxzn5i9hz/jIdO1PbMh1

Please help me find out if these are fake and or used.

Thank you in advance!

Regards,

Davi Duarte
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

 
pigoo3's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 20, 2008
Location: U.S.
Posts: 26,558
pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

pigoo3 is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by daviduarte View Post
Hello there,

I bought an USB power adapter and USB cable to use on my iPad2.
Where did you purchase it from (include the web address if possible)?

Regarding the "genuineness" of the power adapter & cable. It's only "fake" if the place selling it said it was genuine Apple (exact same item sold in the Apple Store).

"Fake" is a relative term anyway...since almost any electronic gizmo, gadget, adapter, etc. has plenty of 3rd party folks making them...at greatly reduced prices. So if you bought this adapter & cable at a substantially lower price than Apple sells them for...what do you think...of course it's not the genuine Apple product.

"Fake" is when someone says they're selling you a genuine Rolex watch...when it really isn't.

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
daviduarte

 
Member Since: Jun 20, 2012
Posts: 4
daviduarte is on a distinguished road

daviduarte is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
Where did you purchase it from (include the web address if possible)?

Regarding the "genuineness" of the power adapter & cable. It's only "fake" if the place selling it said it was genuine Apple (exact same item sold in the Apple Store).

"Fake" is a relative term anyway...since almost any electronic gizmo, gadget, adapter, etc. has plenty of 3rd party folks making them...at greatly reduced prices. So if you bought this adapter & cable at a substantially lower price than Apple sells them for...what do you think...of course it's not the genuine Apple product.

"Fake" is when someone says they're selling you a genuine Rolex watch...when it really isn't.

- Nick
Hello Nick,

You're right, when I meant fake is that the seller advertised the product as 100% original and genuine Apple product, but it isn't. I bought it here: Carregador Original Apple Charger Dock 10w + Usb Ipad 1 2 3 - R$ 64,99 no MercadoLivre

It is a similar to ebay here on Brazil, the odd thing is that like 40 ppl bought the same adapter and gave positive feedback to the seller, that's why I bought it there, the price isn't greatly reduced, they also seel non original ones for much less. It is fairly common not buying on Brazil's apple store because taxation makes things double or even triple their prices compared to the US Apple store.

But with that in mind, this product on the photos looks original?

Thank you very much,

Regards,
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

 
pigoo3's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 20, 2008
Location: U.S.
Posts: 26,558
pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

pigoo3 is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by daviduarte View Post
You're right, when I meant fake is that the seller advertised the product as 100% original and genuine Apple product, but it isn't.

It is a similar to ebay here on Brazil, the odd thing is that like 40 ppl bought the same adapter and gave positive feedback to the seller, that's why I bought it there, the price isn't greatly reduced, they also seel non original ones for much less. It is fairly common not buying on Brazil's apple store because taxation makes things double or even triple their prices compared to the US Apple store.

But with that in mind, this product on the photos looks original?

Thank you very much,

Regards,
There are so many sellers selling these sort of items...and many times they make claims that are not correct.

Unless this person is a authorized Apple retailer/reseller...or somehow got hold of genuine Apple products...I kind of doubt that these adapters are genuine. Anything can be copied...even the printing on them that says. "Designed by Apple in California Assembled in China".

Plus what you mentioned about the color, shape, dirty, and opening the box to put the USB cable in...would also lead me to believe that this is not a genuine (brand new) Apple product.

This is not to say that the items won't perform just as well as genuine Apple products (I'm assuming everything is working ok...since you didn't mention that they don't work). They may work & be just as durable as Apple products.

If you're not happy with the items...I guess you could return them (assuming the seller accepts returns). Of course return shipping costs may be expensive...and make it not worth while.

But if everything is working fine...maybe just keep them...and be more careful next time (if you prefer genuine Apple items).

- Nick

p.s. Keep in mind. Genuine Apple items don't necessarily mean that something is better than another product. Quality Control standards may be higher for the Apple items...but "copied products" could be made from the same materials...maybe even in the same factory. The benefit of genuine Apple items is...if it fails for some reason (manufacturing defects)...Apple will be more likely to allow you to exchange it for a new working item.

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
daviduarte

 
Member Since: Jun 20, 2012
Posts: 4
daviduarte is on a distinguished road

daviduarte is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
There are so many sellers selling these sort of items...and many times they make claims that are not correct.

Unless this person is a authorized Apple retailer/reseller...or somehow got hold of genuine Apple products...I kind of doubt that these adapters are genuine. Anything can be copied...even the printing on them that says. "Designed by Apple in California Assembled in China".

Plus what you mentioned about the color, shape, dirty, and opening the box to put the USB cable in...would also lead me to believe that this is not a genuine (brand new) Apple product.

This is not to say that the items won't perform just as well as genuine Apple products (I'm assuming everything is working ok...since you didn't mention that they don't work). They may work & be just as durable as Apple products.

If you're not happy with the items...I guess you could return them (assuming the seller accepts returns). Of course return shipping costs may be expensive...and make it not worth while.

But if everything is working fine...maybe just keep them...and be more careful next time (if you prefer genuine Apple items).

- Nick

p.s. Keep in mind. Genuine Apple items don't necessarily mean that something is better than another product. Quality Control standards may be higher for the Apple items...but "copied products" could be made from the same materials...maybe even in the same factory. The benefit of genuine Apple items is...if it fails for some reason (manufacturing defects)...Apple will be more likely to allow you to exchange it for a new working item.
Thank you very much Nick,

You're right, I think they are probably not geniune, or at least some part of it. And looks used. My concern is that I paid for the original and got a parallel one. I will try to contact the seller to get a refund, they are working but it's not what I paid for, if I wanted a 3rd part one I could've get one for 1/3 of the price I've paid.

Thank you for attention, your information is very much appreciated!

Regards,

Davi Duarte
QUOTE Thanks
MacTweak

 
MacTweak's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jun 21, 2012
Posts: 4
MacTweak is on a distinguished road

MacTweak is offline
Thatīs looks fake to me

Refund, thats why i pay with paypal. Take your money back with a paypal dispute!
QUOTE Thanks
daviduarte

 
Member Since: Jun 20, 2012
Posts: 4
daviduarte is on a distinguished road

daviduarte is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacTweak View Post
Thatīs looks fake to me

Refund, thats why i pay with paypal. Take your money back with a paypal dispute!
Too bad it was not with paypal, but I am still thinking if I take this as a lesson or try to get a refund...
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe


« Hardware to Record phone calls | seagate momentus xt hd »
Thread Tools

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
USB Power Adapter + Battery rohan iPhone Hardware and Accessories 6 02-07-2011 05:16 PM
iMac USB Ports Issue SJGUY99 Apple Desktops 8 10-19-2010 10:23 PM
USB Power Adapter - Recall ImBatman iPhone Hardware and Accessories 0 09-21-2008 07:40 PM
Power Macintosh G4 + usb wireless adapter dburke1984 Internet, Networking, and Wireless 5 05-30-2007 05:37 AM

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:45 PM.

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
X

Welcome to Mac-Forums.com

Create your username to jump into the discussion!

New members like you have made this community the ultimate source for your Mac since 2003!


(4 digit year)

Already a member?