New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

Buying new logic board

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

jgezau

jgezau is on a distinguished road

Hi all

I've been having this issues, my screen freezes and goes black, and it keeps happening very frequently now.

I've been reading and the only sure (good) solution so far is to replace the logic board. The thing is that I do not know a good site to buy the logic board.

I was wondering if any of you guys have bought one and where did you buy it?? And how to select the correct one??

I have MBP 15'' Unibody (Mid 2010) with the below graphics card

=======================
NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M:

Chipset Model: NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M
Type: GPU
Bus: PCIe
PCIe Lane Width: x16
VRAM (Total): 256 MB
Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)
Device ID: 0x0a29
Revision ID: 0x00a2
ROM Revision: 3560
gMux Version: 1.9.21
=======================

Any other suggestions??

PS: Found this guide and will be using it: ifixit

Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS 10.10.1

Why not take it to a Genius Bar or reseller and ask what the problem is and how much to fix it and then from there.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
jgezau

I bought my Mac online and the nearest genius is at 3hrs from here...

Any other suggestion? Now I cannot even access the OS. As soon as it boots, and the OS loads, the screen goes black and at the top a colorful line. When I access my Windows partition, the screen goes black too

Any good site to buy them?
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgezau View Post

Any other suggestion? Now I cannot even access the OS. As soon as it boots, and the OS loads, the screen goes black and at the top a colorful line. When I access my Windows partition, the screen goes black too
You certainly don't want to spend the BIG BUCKS for a replacement logic board if you don't need one...so you want to do as much troubleshooting as possible to eliminate any other possibilities.

Two things to try:

- Attach an external monitor to your MacBook Pro...and see what happens.
- Boot your computer with an OS install disk.

- Nick

- Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
jgezau

I doubt it was gonna work since this failure is related to bad video card/ logic board, but I'll try....

When the computer boots, I can press the Ctrl key to select which partition to boot from (windows/osx/ recovery ).

When select either windows or osx, the screen goes black, but if I select the recovery partition, it boots fine, so I have access to terminal to copy files to usb (at least).

Another question, when the OS boots, which graphics card it selects, integrated Intel or nvidia graphics?
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgezau View Post
I doubt it was gonna work since this failure is related to bad video card/ logic board, but I'll try....
If you're 100% convinced of this...then yes...you would need a new/good used logic board.

You can try e-Bay...or go to Powerbookmedic.com

- Nick

- Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

Quote:
When select either windows or osx, the screen goes black, but if I select the recovery partition, it boots fine, so I have access to terminal to copy files to usb (at least).
If you can boot to the Recovery Partition, the logic board and graphics processor are probably working OK. And I doubt a 2010 MBP logic board has already gone south although that is not impossible.

The symptoms you describe could also be related to a bad hard drive. Which is a lot less expensive than replacing a logic board.

You never said whether or not you ran the Apple Hardware Test on the machine? If you haven't done that, I suggest give it a try to see what it says.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« If Apple Releases An iTV? | time machine external drive dismounts »