New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

How do i make my read-only WD Passport drive to read and write drive??

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Zeesh

Zeesh is on a distinguished road

Hi guys,

I am facing an issue with my WD Passport 1TB drive which works with a power connecter/cable. I have a Macbook. Since a year it was perfectly working alright and was in a perfect 'read and write' mode.

But today when I was copying data (around 30GB of music and movies) from my macbook to WD Passport, i accidentally tripped over the power connector, it stopped copying and showed a Data Error. After this when i plugged the drive back again and switched it on, it wont allow me to copy anything on there drive. Instead I can now only copy form the Passport Drive to my Macbook and that was totally weird. As a couple of min back it was copying successfully.

When I checked 'Sharing and Permissions' from 'Get Info', there too it was now showing me You can read only instead of 'You can read and write'. The file system on WD Passport is NTFS, but then how it used to copy from macbook on WD before having the same file system or am I missing something here.

If I plug in the WD into a Windows computer, the permissions (read and write) are fine, so it's my Macbook.

Please help me out here in resolving this issue and how should i revert back the read-only permission to 'read and write'.

I will highly appreciate it.

Thanking in advance.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

If the drive is formatted as NTFS it's read only from a Mac. The only way you could ever read and write to that drive from your Mac is if you had third party software installed to allow that capability. Or, if you were using Snow Leopard and turned on the R/W to NTFS ability built into Snow Leopard but which is turned off by default.
QUOTE Thanks
Zeesh

Zeesh is on a distinguished road

ahan.... very weird, ok...thanks for the info, maybe it turned out to be as you have said.... what is the solution to it then? How do I convert it back to R/W?? or any suggestion regarding the use of a good third party software??

How about Macfuse?
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.9, iPhone5s, iPad Air, AppleTV2

I'd go with Paragon NTFS, it's the most stable, reliable solution I've found for NTFS handling.

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Question about External Hard Drives | My iMac won't find my Maxtor External HD »