New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

Question about External Hard Drives

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Hwilensky

Hwilensky is on a distinguished road

Hey all -

Is it possible for the external hard drive to self eject? I came home from work today, and I notice that time machine hasn't run since 3pm. And there was a error warning that I should properly eject the drive the next time. However, I would never remove the drive from the computer. Anyone here of anything like this?

Thanks,
Hwilensky
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

Power line glitch maybe? Do you have an iMac? If so, you should be using an UPS. Any glitch or hit on the power line will eject an attached hard drive.
QUOTE Thanks
Hwilensky

Hwilensky is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the quick response. I do have an iMac, however, I do not think it is a power line glitch because it is not happening to the other external drive that is plugged into the same UPS. Any other suggestions.

Hwilensky
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

OK, you're using an UPS. That's good. In that case, keep an eye on the drive to see if it happens again. It could have been a one time thing or even a self corrected drive error. I'm bit different about making Time Machine backups as I have the automatic backups turned off. I make my backups on a regular basis but do it manually. I keep the drive unmounted until I'm ready to back up. I also do a Carbon Copy Cloner backup at the same time to a different external hard drive.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« airport express naming question | How do i make my read-only WD Passport drive to read and write drive?? »