New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

queer connectivity queries......

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

waterpistol

waterpistol is on a distinguished road

Hi,

I've just upgraded to a Mac Book Pro, I also have loads files on a Lacie LaCinema 2TB external hard drive and have discovered that I need to take all my files off it then re-format it to MS-DOS so that it's readable by both Windows 7 and Lion OSX (i think!)

Can someone advise me what the best connectivity option, i.e. fastest, is available to me as I am not au fait with firewire, thunderbolt etc.

The lacie has the following output/inputs:

1 x USB - Rear,
1 x - Rear HDMI
1 x Composite video/audio output ( RCA phono x 3 ) - Rear,
1 x USB ( 4 pin USB Type A ) - Rear,
1 x USB ( 4 pin USB Type A ) - Side,
1 x SPDIF output - Rear,
1 x ( RJ-45 ) - Rear

And I have a Mac Book Pro 2012 upgraded to 8GB RAM.

Many Thanks in advance!
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

You need another hard drive to copy the files to before formatting the drive to FAT-32 (MS DOS). Make sure the second drive is of a large enough capacity to hold all the files to be transferred. You have no choice for the fastest file transfer since USB is really all your LaCie has.
QUOTE Thanks
waterpistol

waterpistol is on a distinguished road

Thanks, I'm resgined to waiting a long while for the files to be switched over to another, interim external hard drive. So, if I format it to FAT32 it will be readable AND writeable by Win7 and Lion OSX? From my little bit of research I've got my reservations about the compatability but I may have been looking at an old forum post... Hence the question about Win7/Lion.

If all else fails is it straightforward to partition an external hard-drive in Lion OSX for MAC and PC?

Cheers!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« PS3 Controller Wireless Connectivity | Stuck in a situation »