New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

Mac Parts Question - individual or bulk

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

zapacoman

zapacoman is on a distinguished road

Hi all,

I was anti-Apple 10 years ago. I used an I-River to boycott the iPod, until I couldn't resist the 60Gb version that was released and converted over. Ever since dipping my toe into the Apple ocean, I have slowly been converted into an all-Apple advocate. iPod, iPhone, iPad, and most recently, the MacBook Air.

But, I've noticed that the MBA (unlike PC laptops) doesn't have a lot of options when it comes to docking stations - and the one I'd be interested in (LandingZone - on kickstarter) is floundering in pre-production. So, I was thinking about making my own, and if there is demand, making them for others.

Yet, the challenge I face is that some of the proprietary Apple parts do not come up under a simple google search. The two in particular are: the male & female ends of the magsafe A/C cord (the part that is in the laptop and the part that connects to it with a green power light) and the male & female ends of the thunderport.

Does anyone know where one can acquire individual pieces for my own prototype, and more importantly, where one can buy these in bulk if they were to start building docks for others?

~Derek

P.S. This is my first post on the Mac-Forums, booyow!
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Quote:
Yet, the challenge I face is that some of the proprietary Apple parts do not come up under a simple google search. The two in particular are: the male & female ends of the magsafe A/C cord (the part that is in the laptop and the part that connects to it with a green power light) and the male & female ends of the thunderport.
The MagSafe Adapters can be purchased at many third party resellers, however, that's not what you're looking for. The connectors, especially Thunderbolt are proprietary to Apple and can only be used under license. I doubt you're going to find anyone who even stocks them as loose parts.

There are a number of nice docking stations available for Mac portables. Take a look in the advertiser's section of MacWorld and MacLife magazines.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Hard Drive nearly Full | Hard drive not mounting »