New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

Detached Macbook Screen as second external monitor

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Macbook Aires

Macbook Aires is on a distinguished road

Hi all,

First post on here so learning the ropes of the forum.

Here's what I'd like to do: I have a Macbook Air original 2008. Would it be possible to get a a detached Macbook Air screen to use as a second monitor?

I formerly used an external samsung monitor, but I got tired of lugging the thing around. The quality of the image was ok, but it's almost an improvement in my entire quality of life to look at the glass Macbook screen all day.

I travel a lot, in places with relatively high rates of theft, so it would be great to have the Macbook and monitor right there together. It's distracting to me to switch back and forth between different types of monitors. (Note, for work, I'm comparing documents line by line all day long, so I'm switching screens every few seconds).

Has anyone ever heard of this? My ideal set up would two detached screens, aligned vertically side by side, functioning as dual monitors.

Feel free to point me to businesses that may offer custom solutions.

Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
pendlewitch

pendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: iMac 27" Mid 2010, 3.2GHz Intel Core i3,4GB 1333 MHz DDR3, ATI Radeon HD5670 512MB, Mavericks 10.9.4

Hi,
You can do that with an iPad and an app called Air Display, here's a link...Use your iPad as a Monitor - YouTube

Cheers
Liam

iMac 27-inch Mid 2010 (wow....that old...eeeks!), WD My Book 1TB Firewire,WD My Passport Air 500GB, Magic Mouse,Magic Trackpad,
iPhone 5C, iPod Nano 4GB 3rd Gen, ATV2.
MOTM October 2012. These days normally happy with an occasional grumble.
QUOTE Thanks
Macbook Aires

Macbook Aires is on a distinguished road

Thanks Liam, there's a few issues with that:

The iPad screen doesn't have quite enough real estate.

The screen dimensions, tone of the screen, etc, end up being a bit different, and it really does my head switching back and forth between them every few seconds.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Multiple Time Capsules | apple cinema display 20 x mac mini core i5 »