New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

Graphic Tablets - Useful or Headache?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

SPOW05

Hey all. I've heard mixed reviews on multiple graphic tablets. I'm a graphic designer, and I do a lot of cartooning. Are graphic tablets useful to those of you who are in similar trades? What about bluetooth models? Any information/advice would be helpful. Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
thermidor

thermidor will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Powerbook 17" 1.5GHz, 2GB, 160GB Momentus; iMac 24" 3.06GHz, 2GB; iPhone 2.5G 8GB; iPod 5G 60GB

I use a Wacom USB tablet of about A5 size, not sure what but it's a few years old. I'm not a professional designer but I do a fair bit of moderately serious photo manipulation in Photoshop. I find the tablet's excellent. For serious work it beats the heck out of a mouse.

Why? (a) accuracy and control; (b) user interface, such as touch-sensitivity which can be used to control colour, tool size, etc.

If your alternative is a mouse, then I can't see how you can do without a tablet. If you have other options - such as a touch screen - then YMMV.
QUOTE Thanks
SPOW05

Thanks for the advice. I am seriously considering purchasing one. They make a lot of sense, they are just so expensive. If they truly help with accuracy, I feel it would be a great purchase!
QUOTE Thanks
sandals1621

I've had a wacom tablet for awhile, it's alright, But I actually use a touchscreen for serious work.
Think they're too expensive??? click HERE
They're add-ons so you can use your existing monitor... they work really well
QUOTE Thanks
SPOW05

The site looks pretty bootleg... but I'll look into them as well. Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
sandals1621

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPOW05
The site looks pretty bootleg... but I'll look into them as well. Thanks!
hahaha I thought the same when I first saw it, they are in a small little complex as well. But the products are made well and have stood up well for me.
QUOTE Thanks
SPOW05

Rule of thumb, never judge a book by it's cover.. or website. This is an interesting alternative, so thanks again!
QUOTE Thanks
ForeverG5

The Wacom Graphire4 4x5" tablet is a pretty nice price for what you get.
QUOTE Thanks
coach_z

coach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: i dont have no mac's

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverG5
The Wacom Graphire4 4x5" tablet is a pretty nice price for what you get.
i will be buying this one once i get my next paycheck
-chris

MoTM honor roll...
when?
i dont remember
QUOTE Thanks
lil

In all honesty, the Graphire is a good tablet - but - if you can save up for an Intuos tablet 4x5 or bigger then do it, the extra sensitivity, tilt sensitivity, feel of the pen and the tablet itself is a huge improvement.

http://www.lilserenity.com/code/disp...count=5&nepr=1

http://www.lilserenity.com/code/disp...count=5&nepr=1

Some pieces done using a Intuos 3 4x5 tablet and Painter IX by myself.

Vicky
QUOTE Thanks
SPOW05

Now, is a 4 x 5 adequate? To me, it looks like it would be frustrating to work on. Is that enough space to work on?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Apple Video Player...Problem :( | CanoScan 8400F Film Scanner for Mac? »