New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

Problems backing up to external drive

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

zach2683

zach2683 is on a distinguished road

I am trying to back up my macbook pro (late 2006 model 1,1) using an external hard drive that is 160gb and is completely free to fill up. I booted the system with the boot disc and went into the utility and created a new image. It started writing the image on the drive and stopped. I got a message saying "the file is too large to create an image" .... the file isn't even 90 gb!? I am trying to move all of my files over to my new macbook pro.... what do I do? I know a little bit about computers, but not enough to fix this. Please help!
QUOTE Thanks
pannix

pannix is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2011 Mac mini, 2007 Macbook, iPod Classic, iPod Touch 2nd generation, iPad 1

If your external hard drive is formatted with FAT32, the maximum file size is less than 4 GB. Try formatting your external hard drive with the DiskUtility to the Mac OS X Extended format and try again.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Can I change the enclosure of my external WD hard drive? | Phantom USB »