New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

Buying a new TV soon and want to be able to access movie collection from iMac.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

feracuffz61

feracuffz61 is on a distinguished road

Hey Everyone,
Not really sure which section to post this question in but here it goes. I have a large collection of movies on my iMac. I use Plex media center to organize them and I love it. I'm going to buy a new TV soon and I want to be able to play these movies on my television without disconnecting my external HD and reconnecting to a TV.
Is there a certain type of Television I should buy for this?
I don't know much about Apple TV, is that what i need?
Would it come with a media center similar to Plex?
Is there a way to stream Plex to a TV?

Basically just want my movies accessible from both my iMac and on a TV, without having to reconnect, with a good looking media manager. Can anyone share their skills? Thanks in advance!

Im running 10.6.8 on my iMac.
Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
Deckyon

Deckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really nice
Mac Specs: MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM

1. Use iTunes on the iMac for the media, just leave it running and share the library. Take the extra time to go though everything and learn the software, it will pay off.
2. Get a TV with at least 1 HDMI port. I recommend at least 3.
3. Get the Apple TV3 and connect it to your TV and then log into iTunes account and connect to the Shared library.
4. Watch/Listen to all your media.

I have been doing this for months and it has worked awesomely. I use a Macmini for itunes and it has been flawless.

MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6750M 1GB RAM
MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256MB RAM
iPhone 5S 64GB, iPad Gen3 32GB WiFi, iPod Nano Gen6 8GB, Apple TV 3 & 2
QUOTE Thanks
gsahli

gsahli is a jewel in the roughgsahli is a jewel in the roughgsahli is a jewel in the rough

If you want to continue using PLEX and don't need an Apple TV device, get a smart TV with DLNA capability. Menu to see available videos/music/pics on your iMac is accessed via the remote.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Change Default Location of Secondary Monitor | Several keys on MB110 keyboard don't work »