New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

Migrating MacBook Pro files to an iMac using Time Capsule

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

barnjarn

barnjarn is on a distinguished road

Hi,
I have searched for an answer to this, but I can't quite find an answer to my question. My autistic daughter has put a very sharp object through the screen of my MacBook Pro, and it is unsurprisingly dying a painful death (I have now bought her an iPad with an industrial strength case!).

I intend to update my MacBook Pro, but I am aware there may be a big refresh in the near future, so I would like to hold fire on that to see what happens. I have all of my files backed up using Time Machine and a Time Capsule and I have an iMac that is mostly used by the kids for internet, movies, music, etc. All of the most important stuff was on my MacBook Pro.

So, finally, here's the question. Can I make my iMac my 'main' computer by reinstalling OSX and then link it up to the Time Capsule and install all the files from my dying MacBook Pro? Or will I have to bite the bullet and buy a new MacBook Pro and use the migration program to get all of my files back?

Any help/ideas/thoughts would be appreciated.
Thanks
Barnaby
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnjarn View Post
So, finally, here's the question. Can I make my iMac my 'main' computer by reinstalling OSX and then link it up to the Time Capsule and install all the files from my dying MacBook Pro? Or will I have to bite the bullet and buy a new MacBook Pro and use the migration program to get all of my files back?
Yes, you can get all your data on your iMac and pick up where you left off. Just use the Migration Assistant and point it to the Time Capsule. It will can migrate all your user accounts and data, along with applications and other settings.

Alternatively, assuming your MBP is still bootable, connect that to your iMac; boot the MBP in Target Disk Mode; and migrate your users and apps directly off the MBP.

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
------
Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
------
Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.
QUOTE Thanks
barnjarn

barnjarn is on a distinguished road

That's brilliant. The MacBook still boots up, so I might give that a try first. Thanks so much for your help, I appreciate it.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Print not centering | File permissions »