New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

Raid migration

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

MARSHALLJT

MARSHALLJT is on a distinguished road

Just trying to find out what the best way to either migrate or create a RAID 5 Array with my existing J+ and 3 other drives in my Mac Pro? I just added 3 new drives to the unit and want to have it all as a collective RAID 5 Array.
QUOTE Thanks
McBie

McBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2013 MBA 13" - 10.9.3 & iPad - iOS 5.1

There is only one way to do it right:
1) Make a full backup of all your data on the drives hat you are going to reconfigure.
2) Reconfigure your drives in the RAID config you want.
3) Restore your data from the backup taken in step 1.

I know there are tools that can change a RAID config on the fly, but I would not trust them without making a full backup first.

Cheers ... McBie

A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history - with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila.
The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude towards the problem. You understand ?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« HP OfficeJet V40 | Cant copy files to hard drive or memory stick ? »