New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

External HD problem, not recognized

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

ConfusedUser

ConfusedUser is on a distinguished road

I have an iomega external hd that I attempted to connect to my new macbook pro today. It has been working fine on my older macbook, but as soon as I connected it via usb to my new comp, it said something about backing up with time capsule, to which I said no. Now, I can't get the hd to work on any computer. I have tried again on my old macbook (doesn't work) and on another macbook pro. This is what happens when I connect it:
-After a couple mins, I get the message "The disk you inserted was not readable by this computer"
-After this, it is visible in Disk Utility, but I am unable to verify or repair (boxes grayed out)
-It says:
-SMART status: Not supported
-Partition Map scheme: Unformatted
-Finder shows nothing at all of the external hd

Cord is not the problem, so not sure what my options are at this point. I appreciate any and all suggestions. Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
ConfusedUser

I have an iomega external hd that I attempted to connect to my new macbook pro today. It has been working fine on my older macbook, but as soon as I connected it via usb to my new comp, it said something about backing up with time capsule, to which I said no. Now, I can't get the hd to work on any computer. I have tried again on my old macbook (doesn't work) and on another macbook pro. This is what happens when I connect it:
-After a couple mins, I get the message "The disk you inserted was not readable by this computer"
-After this, it is visible in Disk Utility, but I am unable to verify or repair (boxes grayed out)
-It says:
-SMART status: Not supported
-Finder shows nothing at all of the external hd

Cord is not the problem, so not sure what my options are at this point. I appreciate any and all suggestions. Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

This part of your error message:
Quote:
… suggests that you either have deleted the partitions on the drive, or the partition map got corrupt somehow, or there is a more serious hardware failure of the drive. Can you post a screen cap of Disk Utility with that drive selected so we can be sure?

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
------
Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac » Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
------
Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.
QUOTE Thanks
ConfusedUser

Here's the screenshot
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen Shot 2012-04-10 at 11.39.34 PM.png (125.8 KB, 25 views)
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute

What does it show on the Partition tab?

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
------
Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac » Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
------
Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Please do not cross post. Only post to one forum and continue with the same thread. Your cross post has been merged.
QUOTE Thanks
ConfusedUser

Partition screenshot
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen Shot 2012-04-11 at 6.09.36 PM.png (43.5 KB, 20 views)
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConfusedUser View Post
Partition screenshot
As suspected… your partition was deleted. Whatever data you had on that drive is lost. Click the + icon at the bottom to create a new one. Use Mac OS Extended (journaled).

------
------
QUOTE Thanks
ConfusedUser

So is there any way at all to recover the data? I had some very important files on the drive...
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConfusedUser View Post
So is there any way at all to recover the data? I had some very important files on the drive...
Probably not. You can try Disk Drill. I know it can recover erased files, but I'm not sure how it handles files from deleted partitions. It's a free download and you only have to pay for it if it finds files that can be recovered.

In the future, keep a backup of important files to a separate drive. Always always always have back ups, regular backups, of your important files.

------
------
QUOTE Thanks
janeadelehopkin

janeadelehopkin is on a distinguished road

Hello,

This is the closest I have come to finding something similar to my issue; Apart from the fact that my Partition Map Scheme is saying Master Boot Record...

Any clues to what this might mean?

Thanks in advance!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Trust Wireless Tablet TB-3100 Driver HELP NEEDED | Anyone use Hyperjuice batteries? »