New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

How do I see stuff on my external hard drive?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Australianne

Australianne is on a distinguished road

I have a MacBook. It's telling me I can't sync more pics from my iPhone to iPhoto because my startup disc is full. I bought a WD 2T external hard drive. It took about 4 hours to back up my stuff onto it. I don't understand how it works. Why can't I just save stuff to it instead of having to do backups? I want to delete stuff off my MacBook and use it to add new data and access old data on the ext HDD. But it wants to RESTORE to my MacBook, which is stupid because then it would be full again. Help!!
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

You must have used the 2 TB drive for backup with either the Western Digital program or Time Machine and that's why it backed up everything from the MacBook internal drive to the external 2 TB.

If you want to use the WD drive for copying and saving files then don't use it as a backup drive. If you wish, you can erase the drive with Disk Utility and start over but this time don't use it for backing up.
QUOTE Thanks
Australianne

Australianne is on a distinguished road

Sounds good, but I didn't see any other options....I'm still at work, and will have to do it when I get home. Will let you know what happens...I think I should wipe what I saved onto it yesterday. Have got it all on Time Capsule anyway, so no need to have another back up device. I thought TC would have the facility to select single files for viewing, and that's why I got it...salesman saw me coming! But it's nice to have a back up in case of disasters. Now I just want to save to another disk. Wish me luck...
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Problem with Ethernet to USB Adapter | New Thunderbolt Display won't firmware update. »