New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

How to pick a flatbed scanner for Mac OS X Lion?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

pannix

pannix is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2011 Mac mini, 2007 Macbook, iPod Classic, iPod Touch 2nd generation, iPad 1

Mac OS X (and Linux for that matter) have been a wonderful experience since I made the switch from Windows, except when it comes to peripherals. It is difficult to make the right choice. I had little need of a scanner the past couple of years, that is until now.

I want to scan important personal documents (to have backups), 35 mm slides and photo negatives. This means I do not want the software to just support some basic features (like it sometimes does on Linux), but everything the scanner has to offer, just like it would on Windows. How to pick the right flatbed scanner? As an example for what I want to do with it and the price I am willing the pay for it, the HP Scanjet G3110 looks okay. Price is little over 100 (up to 140$).

Can you give me some advice?
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

FWIW for documents it's hard to beat a sheet fed scanner like the Fujitsu s1300
Amazon.com: Fujitsu ScanSnap S1300 Instant PDF Sheet-Fed Mobile Scanner (PA03603-B005): Electronics

At $242 USD it's a little more than a flatbed, but the ease of use and results are worth it (I also have an Epson Perfection flatbed that now gets almost no use).

For slides and negatives, honestly, if they are worth digitizing they are worth getting good files and you have only IMO two good choices.

1) A real slide/negative scanner ~$900 USD
2) Or having them professionally scanned. My local photo shop scans mine for about 35 cents each.

EDIT: Actually, there is another choice that I haven't tried yet, getting a slide adapter for a DSLR. They are relatively cheap and some reviews say the results are good, if a bit of a PITR

I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .
QUOTE Thanks
pannix

pannix is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2011 Mac mini, 2007 Macbook, iPod Classic, iPod Touch 2nd generation, iPad 1

$242 is way over budget. Might consider having the slides and negatives scanned at photo shop, but they are mostly holiday and family snapshots.
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

This is the Epson model Flatbed Scanner I have. I've seen some comments about problems with Lion, but I have had no issues.
Amazon.com: Epson*Perfection*V500*Photo*Scanner: Electronics

I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« What is a good EXTERNAL USB BLU RAY BURNER | laser presentation remote for iPhoto »