New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

Dual Monitors for MacBook Pro w/Lion OS X

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

bohcanada

bohcanada is on a distinguished road

Hi!

First post...

I have a MacBook Pro w/ Lion and I am trying to use dual external monitors with the lid closed on the laptop itself.

I have a Matrox DualHead2Go DP and I've got it working so that the two monitors that are external are just stretching the display, and the macbook pro is acting as a third monitor.

Any idea how to make it so the two external monitors are separate and used as dual monitors with the lid on the laptop closed with the Matrox? If not, any suggestions on how to make this work?

Any help is appreciated!
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

I'm not sure this method will work with the Matrox attached but you can give it a try. You'll need an external keyboard and mouse. Read the following KB article from Apple: LINK
QUOTE Thanks
bohcanada

Thanks for the reply!

When I try that, everything just goes to sleep. I try clicking my wireless mouse (Allow Bluetooth devices to wake this computer is enabled), try clicking the keyboard, and it just stays asleep. :/

Great suggestion, though. Thanks again.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

It won't work with wireless devices - unfortunately. The keyboard at least will need to be wired. And... the MBP can not be operating on battery. AC only.
QUOTE Thanks
bohcanada

i have a wireless mouse and wired keyboard and the wired keyboard still doesnt work to wake it up...

it's also plugged in.
QUOTE Thanks
bohcanada

looks like there are other people with the same issue. https://discussions.apple.com/thread...art=0&tstart=0

someone mentioned it would not be fixed until 10.7.3 and i am on 10.7.2
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Lucky for you, 10.7.3 is available (and has been for a while now). Update your machine and give it a try again.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
bohcanada

thanks for the tip! not normally a mac user so I didnt realize it was out
QUOTE Thanks
bohcanada

...even after updating the os, it still wont work

does anyone know how to do this, even without the Matrox adapter? I dont care how it's done, I just have to figure out how to do it.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Font gone all wonky on web browsers | External HDD is read only? »