New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

HELP!!! how to use HP webcam on mac?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Hondaminican

Hondaminican is on a distinguished road

i bought a HP 3100 webcam with hopes to use it for FaceTime.. Ok so I'm installing it using wine & wine bottler. well after installation all i get is a window showing me a NTFS file system. Does anyone have any ideas on how to make the webcam work on my mac?? running latest version of lion btw...
QUOTE Thanks
Hondaminican

i tried installing it both ways (saved in directory & simple application) i can get through the entire installation successfully.. only problem is i can't get the webcam to work.. all i have is the file system showing that the software is installed...

sorry for quality of screen shot.. 50 in computer screen..
QUOTE Thanks
Hondaminican

& the application Macam doesn't work for the particular webcam that i have & even if it did, Macam does not allow live- stream.. only allows you to record.
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.10, iPhone6, iPad Air, AppleTV2

Have you tried connecting to your Mac without using Wine et al?

There are many references online to this webcam being plug-and-play on Windows and OSX

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks
cradom

cradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21in iMac core2 Duo- 13in macbook - 10.9 on both

Installing a windows driver and software wont make it work anyway, unless you're running windows.
What model of mac do you have?

Craig Domingue - resident redneck.
“Never argue with an idiot. He will only bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.”, George Carlin
QUOTE Thanks
Hondaminican

Actually none of the webcams said they were compatible with mac but i felt confident because i had Wine.. & I do have Winddows 7 running on a virtual machine.. but its painfully slow. i don't think i could successfully install in the VM & then have the FaceTime application recognize it.. & i have a 2010 Mac Mini running the latest update of lion
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.10, iPhone6, iPad Air, AppleTV2

Have you just tried connecting it to your mac without a vm or wine?

I don't have that model but there's several references followling a web search suggesting it just works.

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks
cradom

cradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21in iMac core2 Duo- 13in macbook - 10.9 on both

Do a little research - straight from the HP site:

Requirements: Intel Pentium 4 processor with 2.4GHz or AMD Athlon equivalent or faster and 1GB RAM (1.6GHz Dual Core and 2GB RAM recommended), Microsoft Windows XP/Vista/7 with SP2 (32 or 64-bit) 230MB free hard drive space for software, CD drive, USB 2.0 port

You MIGHT get it to work in OS X, stranger things have happened. It just might work.

Might want to give this site a look: http://www.mac-compatible-web-cam.com/

Craig Domingue - resident redneck.
“Never argue with an idiot. He will only bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.”, George Carlin
QUOTE Thanks
Hondaminican

i give up I'm just going to return this webcam back to the store...
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« What is the best way to save and transfer files from old to new iMac | Thunderbolt display and Blackmagic Intensity extreme »