New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

Backup HD: wired or wireless

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

tape

tape is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac-27":OS10.8:3.4GHz:16G B iPhone5S

Got iMac a little while ago (coming from PC) I'll be getting new Backup HD and in a fog as to the best way to attach to the system. My current home network includes a couple of PC laptops, but that will change soon as I move to all Mac. Firewire, USB and ethernet to my router are all considerations, so my question is: has any forum reader had any experiences that would be something I need to consider before I make the HD purchase? I'll probably stick with a WD brand since I have always had the best of luck with them as have my friends in the PC world.
QUOTE Thanks
pendlewitch

pendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: iMac 27" Mid 2010, 3.2GHz Intel Core i3,4GB 1333 MHz DDR3, ATI Radeon HD5670 512MB, Mavericks 10.9.4

Hello,
A lot people on here speak highly of the Time Capsule but then there is a lot of other positive opinion for different set-ups and NAS.

Me personally I recently had a bad experience with a La Cie Network Space 2 hooked up to my wireless router by USB. It just wouldn't play and certainly not with Time Machine.

I ended up going with a WD My Book Studio with Firewire 800 directly to the back of my iMac. It's already formatted HFS+ Journaled and is TM compatible. I didn't even bother installing the proprietary software or partitioning it.

The sage advice on here is to have 2 lots of external storage, one for TM and one for bootable back-up.

Official Backup FAQ or Start Backing Up Now!
Cheers

iMac 27-inch Mid 2010 (wow....that old...eeeks!), WD My Book 1TB Firewire,WD My Passport Air 500GB, Magic Mouse,Magic Trackpad,
iPhone 5C, iPod Nano 4GB 3rd Gen, ATV2.
MOTM October 2012. These days normally happy with an occasional grumble.
QUOTE Thanks
tape

tape is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac-27":OS10.8:3.4GHz:16G B iPhone5S

pendlewitch,
The only drive manufacturer I know of that has been unreliable for friends is seagate. I created a bootable USB stick when computer was new. I'm seriously considering the WD that connects to router via CAT5 cable so I can easily use it for backup for future Mac laptop/ipad.
Thanks for your advice.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Macbook Pro with external monitor/keyboard? | Running Fujitsu Scanner on Macbook Pro »