New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

Macbook Pro does not recognize external monitor

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

apseubert

apseubert is on a distinguished road

Hey! I'm running a 15" mac book pro 2.4GHz duo core 4Gigs of RAM, OSX 10.6.8

I've got an older Dell LCD monitor that I wanted to hook up to my MBP, so I ordered the appropriate Mini display port to VGA cables and adapters but I'm getting nothing out of it at all. I connect the monitor after turning on the MBP and then turn the monitor on after which it goes straight into power save mode. Pressing the detect displays button in the system preferences menu doesn't seem to do much of anything at all and when I check the system Profiler the display connector reads "No display connected" so it doesn't see it at all... Do you think its the Port or the cable that's messed up? Any thoughts or comments would be greatly appreciated. If you need more information from me I am quite willing to oblige! Thank you in advance!
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.10, iPhone6, iPad Air, AppleTV2

Do you have another monitor or TV with VGA in that you can try? That would identify if it's a Mac config or cable issue.

Conversely do you have a PC that you can connect by PC to the dell monitor to be sure that's working OK.

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Media player for exFat | Question about 20" Apple Cinema Display (A1081 older model) »