New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

Does it hurt a backup drive to be put on it's side?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

class77

class77 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 25" iMac 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo iPhone 4

Lack of space and a desire not to put it on top of the AEBS had me put a small Iomega drive on it's side. Will this make the drive work harder or shorten it's lifespan? Should I find another place to put it?

 24" iMac, 3.06GHz C2D, 4GB RAM, 1TB HDD, 10.6.8
 2011 Mac mini, 2.7Ghz i7, 8GB RAM, 750 GB HDD, 10.7.3
 iPad3 64GB, iPad2 32 GB
 iPhone 4, 32GB  Airport Extreme 5
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Hard drives in flat panel iMac's are "on their side" all the time. So no...it won't hurt.

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
class77

class77 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 25" iMac 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo iPhone 4

Thanks Pigoo

 24" iMac, 3.06GHz C2D, 4GB RAM, 1TB HDD, 10.6.8
 2011 Mac mini, 2.7Ghz i7, 8GB RAM, 750 GB HDD, 10.7.3
 iPad3 64GB, iPad2 32 GB
 iPhone 4, 32GB  Airport Extreme 5
QUOTE Thanks
iggibar

iggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 4.1 15" MBP. 13" MBP. 17" PB. Power Mac G5. Galaxy Note 3

As long as you don't move it, or cause it to move abruptly while spinning, you should be okay. It's easier to cause damage from a vertically mounted/placed hdd than a horizontally mounted/placed hdd because of centrifugal force...the disk platter doesn't want to move while spinning at high speeds, while you are forcing the enclosure to move. This will cause microscopic scratches that leads to errors and irreversible damage. Good HDD's now-a-days come with very fast reacting vibration sensors that park the head(s) of the drive upon vibrations. A very loose example of this is placing an XBOX 360 vertically, and jiggling it...you know what happens Though, the hdd's platter is MUCH MUCHHHH more tightly attached to the bearing assembly that allows it to spin, the force from it spinning actually allows the disk platter to ever so slightly bend when placed vertically. This kind of vibration is near eliminated by placing it horizontally.

With that said, half of all my hdd's are placed vertically.

“If you are distressed by anything external, the pain is not due to the thing itself but to your own estimate of it; and this you have the power to revoke at any moment.” Marcus Aurelius
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by iggibar View Post
As long as you don't move it, or cause it to move abruptly while spinning, you should be okay. It's easier to cause damage from a vertically mounted/placed hdd than a horizontally mounted/placed hdd because of centrifugal force...the disk platter doesn't want to move while spinning at high speeds, while you are forcing the enclosure to move. This will cause microscopic scratches that leads to errors and irreversible damage. Good HDD's now-a-days come with very fast reacting vibration sensors that park the head(s) of the drive upon vibrations. A very loose example of this is placing an XBOX 360 vertically, and jiggling it...you know what happens Though, the hdd's platter is MUCH MUCHHHH more tightly attached to the bearing assembly that allows it to spin, the force from it spinning actually allows the disk platter to ever so slightly bend when placed vertically. This kind of vibration is near eliminated by placing it horizontally.

With that said, half of all my hdd's are placed vertically.
Exactly. This is particularly true of desktop drives. Laptop drives and the micro drives in iPods are designed to be moved around and exposed to extreme angles and g-forces. Desktop drives on the other hand tend to be designed for more stable use. I'd recommend fashioning some kind of a stand if you intend to use it this way to avoid the inevitable tipping that can happen.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

I've moved your post to a more proper forum; please be sure to check the forum descriptions to find the best place to post.

By posting in the right forum you help people not only find your question faster, but it helps others looking for the same information in the future.

Thanks for understanding!

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« .Mov can't play or convert? | Media player for exFat »