New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

Which printer? Buying a new IMac soon

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

thewal

thewal is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Imac 21.5 Mid 2011 (16 GB Ram). Apple TV. Iphone 5

Hi,

I am going to buy a new IMac (my first MAC!!!!) soon, probably mid April. Currently I have an HP 8250 printer. It has served me well, but lately it has been giving me problems, mainly paper jams. Anyway, I will hopefully be buying a new printer as well. I am loking for a wireless printer. I do a bit of Photoshop printing out cards, normally A5 to A6, but some A4 to A5.
I have looked at the Apple website and the printers that they are selling are Epson and HP. I have always liked the HP's (former HP employee). I also have a Canon DSLR, and I like the look of the new Canon printers.
Thanks, Conor
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Any of the three should be fine. I have all three - HP, Canon, and Epson. All have Mac OS X drivers and work well. The Canon being wireless was a bit more difficult to setup and get working but once that was done, it's been a good printer.

Just make sure any printer you buy comes with Mac OS X drivers and also check to see that it says the printer will work with Lion (Mac OS X 10.7).
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
Any of the three should be fine. I have all three - HP, Canon, and Epson. All have Mac OS X drivers and work well. The Canon being wireless was a bit more difficult to setup and get working but once that was done, it's been a good printer.

Just make sure any printer you buy comes with Mac OS X drivers and also check to see that it says the printer will work with Lion (Mac OS X 10.7).
Most of the time you need to visit their website to get the new driver for 10.7.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewal View Post
Hi,

I am going to buy a new IMac (my first MAC!!!!) soon, probably mid April. Currently I have an HP 8250 printer. It has served me well, but lately it has been giving me problems, mainly paper jams. Anyway, I will hopefully be buying a new printer as well. I am loking for a wireless printer. I do a bit of Photoshop printing out cards, normally A5 to A6, but some A4 to A5.
I have looked at the Apple website and the printers that they are selling are Epson and HP. I have always liked the HP's (former HP employee). I also have a Canon DSLR, and I like the look of the new Canon printers.
Thanks, Conor
I had an HP printer and it's fine for just printing out documents. If you do like Photo prints then I would go for an Epson printer. I have two right now. One is a Photo printer and the other is office printer. Wireless Scanning and Printing and I bought it on sale which was the best part. Epson Workforce 845 if you want to check it out.

死神はリンゴしか食べない。
QUOTE Thanks
class77

class77 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 25" iMac 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo iPhone 4

+1 for the Epson. We got one when my husband bought a new MBP last year and I've really been impressed. Easy to set up, great photo printing and it will even print a DVD.

 24" iMac, 3.06GHz C2D, 4GB RAM, 1TB HDD, 10.6.8
 2011 Mac mini, 2.7Ghz i7, 8GB RAM, 750 GB HDD, 10.7.3
 iPad3 64GB, iPad2 32 GB
 iPhone 4, 32GB  Airport Extreme 5
QUOTE Thanks
IvanLasston

IvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2

I've been using Canon Printers since the BJC600 (Early 90's) Most Canon printers have lasted me well over 6 years. I went to an HP on my Dad's recommendation - the 8250 I believe and it died within 1 year. I know others who have good luck with HP - but 1 lemon for me so I went back to Canon. There are several new Canon printers that support Airprint (for printing from iOS devices) I've found these to be quite good - plus they have bonjour built in so there was no setup at all for the Macs.
Canon U.S.A. : AirPrint
I bought the MG6220 on sale for $150. Works great with Macs, PCs, and iOS.
QUOTE Thanks
pendlewitch

pendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: iMac 27" Mid 2010, 3.2GHz Intel Core i3,4GB 1333 MHz DDR3, ATI Radeon HD5670 512MB, Mavericks 10.9.4

I've been running a HP Photosmart Premium C310 (CN503B) for about 12 months now and use it for my business. I need to provide quality reports in hard copy and have been very impressed with this little gem.

It can admirably cope with large documents containing lots of images and one of it's cute features is that it pauses slightly after printing an image to let the ink dry before continuing with text and feeding the sheet out onto the collection tray.

I often use the two-sided print option with draft print quality for keeping a low cost hard copy back-up and it never gets temperamental if the paper is loaded slightly out of line.

The print process is reasonably quiet in my opinion, scan utility is quick, effective and easy to deal with and I find the ability to print from my iPhone when I'm away from home convenient at times (I think this is the Eprint function) although it's not often I use this.

I print the occasional A4 sized photograph but mainly 6 x 4. It renders colour very well, especially darker tones. There is an extra black cartridge in the machine called photo black which I believe is useful if you are using coated papers. If your normal black cartridge begins to run out then the printer will begin to use the photo-black as a reserve.

I don't have much inclination to use the web widgets on the touchscreen, they look a bit gimmicky,
but I can't fault the connectivity or utilities provided, and there is also a convenient widget which you can load up on your Mac to display realtime ink-levels and run the maintenance jobs with.

For the money it's been a little cracker.

iMac 27-inch Mid 2010 (wow....that old...eeeks!), WD My Book 1TB Firewire,WD My Passport Air 500GB, Magic Mouse,Magic Trackpad,
iPhone 5C, iPod Nano 4GB 3rd Gen, ATV2.
MOTM October 2012. These days normally happy with an occasional grumble.
QUOTE Thanks
thewal

thewal is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Imac 21.5 Mid 2011 (16 GB Ram). Apple TV. Iphone 5

Thanks for all your replys guys. Food for thought
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Airport express or extreme | Can you help with a wireless keyboard issue? »