New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

Hard Drive Size Limitations

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

staff85

Pardon my ignorance. I am a PC technician that has only touched a MAC once and that was to pass a MAC notebook from one person to another. I was just asked to upgrade a G4 that is being used to record audio. They needed more RAM and a larger HDD. I opened up the unit and saw that it is using DDR PC2700. Easy money, i went out and grabbed a stick of 512 DDR PC2700 Cas-2. The hard drive looks to be a standard IDE Seagate drive. I purchased an IDE ATA/100 160GB hard drive to run as a slave. Here are my questions:

1.) Windows has a limitation of only seeing 137GB otherwise you need to use a PCI card or set up multiple partitions on the drive. Do MACs have any similar limits?

2.) The motherboard (operating on my memory now b/c it's not in front of me) had a couple of extra IDE connectors. One was labeled 33 and the other 66. I was under the impression that this referred to the ATA though I have never seen a PC board with different speeds on different ports. Toward the other end of the board was another IDE connector and the Seagate was plugged in there. It however didn't have a label as the others did. Can I use a standard 80-pin/40-connector cable to set up master and slave to the IDE that the Seagate is already on or do I need to utilize the connectors labeled 33 and 66?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm sorry if you need more information on the setup. I opened the case and looked around for about 5 minutes and that was it. I do believe it was this MAC http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=75343 but again there are 2-3 that look very similar and not working with them before makes it hard to distinguish between the characteristics.
QUOTE Thanks
Graphite

Graphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display

I believe that Mac will read any size (in os9 or osX)

#2... I don't think will work.. u might need the 33 66.

I am no expert in any of these areas, but this is my best guesses.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« CD tray eject with Apple USB Keyboard? | Wireless adapters for G4 »