New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

Trying to set up ePrint on HP CP1020nw... IP address just coming up as 0.0.0.0?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

TheHamiltonProj

TheHamiltonProj is on a distinguished road

Hi everyone! So new HP Laserjet (CP1020nw) came the other day and I'm trying to set it up.

Found on network fine, prints configuration sheet fine, these are the steps HP says to follow to setup the ePrint feature (where you can email files to a specific email address you setup for your printer and it will print those files)...

LaserJet Printers

Print a configuration page from your product, and locate the IP address.

At your computer, open a Web browser and type the product IP address into the address line. The HP Embedded Web Server opens.

Click the HP Web Services tab.

Click the Print Information Sheet button.

However the IP address on the configuration sheet just comes up as a local 0.0.0.0? I know I'm doing something basic wrong I just don't know what! Anyone care to point me in the right direction?

Thanks in advance

Mark
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.9, iPhone5s, iPad Air, AppleTV2

How is it connected? cable or wifi?
Connected to a router or a hub/Mac/PC
Can you print to it normally?

If you log into your router can you see the printer as an attached device?

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks
MYmacROX

MYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2008 15" MBP ML, 2012 21.5" iMac ML

On your Mac, go into System Preferences and click on Network. At the top right, it should tell you that you're connected, what method you're connected with, and what your IP address is. If it does not show up there, click on the Advanced button and go to the DNS tab. Your IP address will be there too.

16GB iPhone 5, 64GB Wi-Fi only iPad 1st Gen.

Reminder: Please include your Mac's specs. This will make it much easier for the other members to assist you.
QUOTE Thanks
TheHamiltonProj

It's connected wirelessly and shows up as such, but HP utility helpfully says...

'HP Utility cannot work with devices connected to Airport
Please connect device directly to your Mac to work with it.'

But if I connect via wire to get the HP utility to work the IP shows up as 0.0.0.0.

There are various help pages on the HP site in regard to using Airports etc. Here's one bit of advice but the headers/navigation route they mention are different on my Airport...

'To add your printer as a wireless client on your network:
Open a Finder window and go to the Applications / Utilities folder.
Open Airport Utility.
Select your wireless router.
Click Manual Setup.
From the Base Station menu on the menu bar, choose Add Wireless Clients.
In the sheet that appears, select First attempt, then click Continue.
Start the WPS process from the control panel of your printer.
See your manual for specific instructions.'

Once I get to Base Station there's no Add Wireless Clients option, that I can see anyway. I'm on version 6 of the Airport Utility.

Thanks for the reply!
QUOTE Thanks
TheHamiltonProj

In my System Prefs > Network it has my ethernet connection (my iMac is ethernet connected) IP address and my Wi-Fi one XX.X.X.2 and XX.X.X.3 respectively. Will the printer IP just be the wireless one then? I thought it would have it's own specific one so as not to conflict with any other wireless devices / computers connecting via wi-fi? Or am I just making things up?!
QUOTE Thanks
TheHamiltonProj

Sorry re the spec's! Rule 1!!

iMac - 21.5inch (late 2009)
Processor - 3.06GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
Memory 8 GB 1067 MHz DDR3
Graphics - NVIDIA GeForce 9400 356 MB
Running Mac OS X Lion 10.7.3 (11D50)
Being operated by a short hairy guy called Mark.
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MYmacROX View Post
On your Mac, go into System Preferences and click on Network. At the top right, it should tell you that you're connected, what method you're connected with, and what your IP address is. If it does not show up there, click on the Advanced button and go to the DNS tab. Your IP address will be there too.
That'll just give the Mac IP, not the printer afaik

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

Sorry can we just start again.

Is your printer connected to your router? Or is it connected to your Mac?

It needs to connected to the router.

What sort of router do you have?

QUOTE Thanks
TheHamiltonProj

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrplow View Post
Yeah that's what I was thinking. Didn't think it would be that easy!

iMac - 21.5inch (late 2009) | Processor - 3.06GHz Intel Core 2 Duo | Memory - 8 GB 1067 MHz DDR3
Graphics - NVIDIA GeForce 9400 356 MB | Running - Mac OS X Lion 10.7.3 (11D50)
QUOTE Thanks
TheHamiltonProj

Quote:
Quote:
Sorry can we just start again.

Is your printer connected to your router? Or is it connected to your Mac?

It needs to connected to the router.

What sort of router do you have?
The printer isn't physically connected to anything. Do I have to have a wireless printer connected via wire to router/iMac all the time then? Just tried to do a test print (with initial setup wire disconnected) and it's saying not connected... when I was running the downloaded install software (the on disk stuff was out of date/wouldn't run) it was through the airport not straight into the iMac.

I have an Airport running Version 6.0 of the software.

iMac - 21.5inch (late 2009) | Processor - 3.06GHz Intel Core 2 Duo | Memory - 8 GB 1067 MHz DDR3
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

I don't mean connected physically so much as how is it connected to the network.

Is it connected wirelessly to the router or is it connected wirelessly to your Mac?

The airport utility version is a red herring, it's nothing to do with this.

Ok. This is how it should be:
You connect the printer directly to your Mac with a USB cable, run the setup software during which you will run through the network setup, detect your wireless network and enter the password. Once configured the USB cable can be disconnected.

Your printer is now connected wirelessly to the network via the router (it'd still help to know which router you have).

If you've connected to the wireless network correctly the config sheet that prints will have the printers IP address on it.

However, you can log into the router and find out what the IP address is but that's assuming you've connected to the wireless network correctly in the first place.

QUOTE Thanks
TheHamiltonProj

The printer is connected wireless through my Airport (router) it says so when you go into System Prefs.

I have done what you have said and I'm getting the issues I've highlighted. It doesn't ask for my network settings though just some guff about proxy servers, but that's doing it through the router. I'll delete the printer again tomorrow am and run the install software with the printer wired direct to my Mac and see how that goes.

QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

So do you have an airport extreme router?

It sounds as though you've connected to your mac directly rather than connecting to the router.

That would explain the lack of IP and the proxy server request in the setup.

QUOTE Thanks
TheHamiltonProj

Thanks for the replies. Would have come back yesterday but I think the forum was down.

I wasn't connected directly with the Mac, it seems to be a good old issue to do with their driver compatibility. I'm dealing with HP direct who are meant to be calling me back today with a proper fix. We had it working with an IP address but it was then crashing and dropping the IP address etc.

Fingers crossed.

QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

They may ask you to update the printer firmware on the printer itself.

But don't let them fob you off with drivers for your Mac, those print drivers have no bearing on the printer being issued an IP address by your router - there are no user installable drivers between a router (still don't know which one.....) and your network printer.

But luck anyway. Post back with your results.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Setting up a Canon Pixma MP 620 in Snow Leopard | Ivy Bridge shipments delayed til June? »